Why I wanted to be a Hokie Ambassador

Leading Virginia Tech forward by walking backward

My campus tour was amazing. The guide was very knowledgeable, fun and super helpful when my mom almost passed out from the July heat. He was even from my hometown, which is always exciting. This tour made me want to be a part of the great community I saw around me. This tour got me excited for the college experience. This tour made me want to be a tour guide.

This tour was not at Virginia Tech.

I only went on three campus tours: Longwood University, Virginia Tech and James Madison University. They all were during the summer before my junior year, because I wanted to be absolutely sure of where I wanted to go before I applied. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people say, “My tour made me want to come here.” If I used that philosophy to govern my college decision, I would be at JMU right now.

That’s crazy to think about, because I can’t imagine myself anywhere but Virginia Tech. But loving this campus was a growing process for me, and that was partly due to the tour I took.

My Hokie Ambassador, though she knew what she was talking about, didn’t seem very excited about the school. One of the buildings we were supposed to walk through was locked. When someone asked about roommates, she told a horror story of how she couldn’t get along with her roommate and requested a change three times. She talked about how she quit a cheerleading team because she hated it. Needless to say, this didn’t make a good impression on me.

So you’re probably wondering how in the world I chose Virginia Tech over JMU. It wasn’t because I didn’t get into JMU – in fact, I never even applied. I only applied because I was accepted early decision. I originally came to Virginia Tech for the top-ranked business program. It wasn’t until a full year of being a student had passed that I realized how much this school had to offer. I had that typical “campus tour” epiphany just from being a student.

During the spring of my freshman year, I applied to be a Hokie Ambassador. I have been told my whole life that I would make a great tour guide, and I wanted to follow through on that expectation. The Hokie Ambassador application process consists of three rounds: online application, group interviews and individual interviews. I made it all the way through my one-on-one interview before I was cut. Since I was part of the last possible group cut, it felt like the worst kind of rejection. It’s like I was just missing one thing, and I couldn’t put my finger on what that was.

I thought that HA was the only organization I wanted to be a part of. Being rejected, while absolutely heartbreaking, forced me to spread my wings, so I joined three campus groups the following fall. I’ve found a home in each one, thus finding a home in Virginia Tech.
When applications were announced again this spring, I wanted to reapply, but I was hesitant. Rejection is not easy to handle, and I didn’t exactly want to jump right back into that again.

But I finally realized what that one thing missing from my first application, the reason I got cut, was. I realized that I was more like the Hokie Ambassador I had almost four years ago than I wanted to admit. The first time, I was applying because I felt like it’s what people expected me to do. I didn’t really enjoy anything about Virginia Tech my freshman year. I was still adjusting to the college life, and it showed in my interviews.

I knew that I wouldn’t have that problem this time. This year, I was applying for the right reasons. Instead of showing prospective students around my campus, I would be showing prospective Hokies around my home. Instead of listing off organizations you could get involved with, I would be talking about how choosing the right organizations can make a large campus feel small. Instead of being a tour guide, I wanted to be a Hokie Ambassador.

And I am beyond excited to say that I finally am one.

Without even beginning training yet, I already feel like I am a part of the HA family. Part of that comes from the fact that I know so many of the guides from other organizations I am a part of. Part of that comes from pure excitement. I can’t wait to play intramural sports with HA and to participate in campus activities, like Relay for Life, with them. And of course, I am looking forward to showing future Hokies around campus.

But most of all, I am eager to get to know more Ambassadors. I’ve finally realized that it takes a special kind of person to be selected as an Ambassador, and those are the kind of people I want to be around: people who love people, love life, and, of course, love being a Hokie.

Virginia Tech