Earth Week comes to Tech

How you can get involved to help the planet

The Environmental Coalition at Virginia Tech is hosting this year’s Earth Week on campus, and they’ve planned numerous ways to get students engaged.  Whether it’s the Bike to Campus Festival or Yoga in the Gardens, there’s plenty of opportunities for you to get plugged in this week!  Here are some of the events taking place:

Monday: Solarfest (Kickoff Concert) – 5:00pm-9:00pm @ Drillfield

Live music and guest speakers will kick off Earth Week with a concert on the Drillfield!  I mean, who doesn’t like free music?

Tuesday: Tree Planting – 1:00pm @ West Campus Drive

Let’s add to our urban forest and continue what we started!  Last year students planted trees on West Campus Drive, so why not keep at it?

Wednesday: Solar Table Unveiling – 1:00pm @ Pritchard Quad

Yeah, you read that right.  A SOLAR TABLE!  President Sands will preside over the unveiling of the newest invention from Students for Clean Energy!

Thursday: Living in the Anthropocene – 4:45pm-5:45pm @ The Lyric

Dr. Josh Tewsbury from the University of Colorado, Boulder will be giving a presentation on science, sustainability and society.

Friday: Wheels and Reels – 7:00pm-9:00pm @ GLC Auditorium

A bike-in movie to celebrate alternative transportation!  The winners of the Clean Commute Challenge will be revealed before the movie begins!

Many students are volunteering to help raise sustainability awareness and get more people engaged in environmental protection.  The members of the Environmental Coalition come from all different majors and fields of study, and they are all striving for more student involvement.  The organization has been planning Earth Week for almost an entire year, and it looks like it’ll pay off.

“We hope to use the week to get people to practice sustainability on and off campus,” said Meredith Hickman, a member of the Environmental Coalition.  “Earth week is always an amazing week to spread the word about respecting the environment in a fun way.”

Earth Week at Virginia Tech will take place April 18 – April 22.  For the full list of events, follow this link: https://theecvt.com/earth-week/

Virginia Tech