It’s time to stop bashing Republicans at Villanova

We’re not racist bigots

In the aftermath of one of the most shocking elections in United States history, emotions are still running high.

Many Villanova students are taking to social media to express their disappointment with the electorate and the despair they feel for their country.  Of course, these frustrated Clinton supporters have every right to express their views freely.

But at a time when everyone—the elated, the disheartened, and even the apathetic—should be focused on coming together, angry students are making things harder for all of us.

True colors are showing

A photo posted by Tanner (@proud_conservative) on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:28pm PST

A recurring theme throughout the social media backlash is the malicious stream of insults being wielded at young Republicans.  Conservative voters are being called racist, misogynistic, and homophobic, all stereotypes used to label Trump himself.

Sure, some Trump voters may embody these typecasts.  But the vast majority of young Republicans, and certainly those at Villanova, are far from bigoted and hateful.

The truth is that they were stuck with a nominee whose troubling comments they relentlessly had to take the heat for, but whose policies they supported more than Clinton’s.  After eight years of living with a president who missed an opportunity to bring together a country divided by racial tensions and dismal economic growth, Republicans (and even some Democrats) used their voices to enact change.

Ultimately, they won.

But at a time when they should be able to openly celebrate, Republican students are being silenced by vicious attacks from their peers.

Julie Perez, a junior Political Science and Communication major, said: “I am a 20-year-old female Hispanic, and I do not believe the American government has failed me. I am not ‘afraid’ of the next four years, but I am afraid to voice these thoughts, as any opinion other than blatant cynicism is harshly rejected by Clinton supporters.

“I do not think Donald Trump in the White House is going to tear the nation apart. If anyone is going to tear the nation apart, it is going to be the flag-burners who are making no attempt to share their thoughts and enact change in a positive, peaceful way.”

Amidst all the chaos on social media, some students are calling for an end to the hateful rhetoric targeted at Republicans.  Connor DeFilippis, a senior Communication major, said “Now is the time to come to the table together.

“Republicans, Democrats, and Independents alike. We cannot afford to perpetuate the hateful words that I have seen and heard in these last two days. We must remember we are all Americans and that identifying with Republican ideologies does not automatically make one racist, sexist, or homophobic.

“The collective will of the nation has been heard, and Donald J. Trump has been elected President. We have to move towards healing the wounds that this contentious election has caused. We must move forward, together.”

With one of the most divisive elections now behind us, it is time to put the hatred behind us and come together as a school community.

Villanova University