Graduating seniors give advice to the incoming class of 2020

We asked a handful of seniors what words of wisdom they wanted to leave behind for Vandy student

As finals fill the air and behemoth backpacks crush students all across Vandy, the sappy seniors scatter campus lawns and reflect as procrastination because let’s face it, senioritis has fully set in.

We went around and asked seniors if they had any advice they’d like to leave behind for remaining students, and the class of 2016 had a few poignant and funny things to drop as a teeny legacy:

Bill Hillsman, New Media Communications

“College is for having fun and making mistakes. If you’re gonna go down, go down swinging!”

Charlotte Gill, History & Econ

“Make sure to acquire an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie from Central Library Cafe. Make sure it’s chocolate chip and not raisin, unless you’re a certain personality type, and then unwrap it before putting it in the microwave. Heat it up for 20-30 seconds, check to see if too hot to touch before removing.

“Eat all the edges first before moving to the moist interior. Preferably enjoy it with a flavored coffee. Next, embark on a friendship with the Library Cafe workers because they are very kind and they have the cookies.”

William Harrington, Educational Studies & Human and Organizational Development

“If you’re not in love with what you’re doing – whether it’s your major, a club, an exec. position – then just stop. Surround yourself with people and activities you want to be doing, and pursue the academic fields that you find yourself enthralled with.

“These four years will be up before you know it – don’t waste your time on people and/or activities that don’t excite you.”

Judah Savage, Computer Science

“Pack a lunch.”

Charity McCracken, Elementary Education

“Eat lots of apple-cinnamon scones, aggressively arrive at every TNC show at 6:30, climb every available roof on campus (there are more than you think). Take too many pictures of it all.”

Connor Henderson, Social Justice and Human Rights

“Dear rising seniors, make a bucket list with your friends at the BEGINNING of the year. Bucket lists are awesome because you get to track your progress of “tying up loose ends” in the city before you graduate, but my friends and I didn’t start one until second semester. We only got to finish about half of the things on our list – don’t let that be you!”

Bailey Via, Medicine, Health, and Society & Women and Gender Studies

“Find your people and ball til you fall. Whatever your dadgum thing is, go do it.”

Nick Mecikalski, Theatre & Computer Science

“Try everything at Munchie at least once. It sounds impossible but with careful planning and meticulous spreadsheets, success can be yours. In a similar vein, use as many bathrooms on campus as you possibly can while you’re here. When else in your life will you get the opportunity to use so many bathrooms?”

Cate Jo, Theatre & Math

“Avoid fuckbois at all costs.”

Madagan Riley, English & Communication Studies

“Make and keep playlists for for years and experiences here. You’ll thank yourself later for the soundtracks to your memories.”

Man oh man – I don’t know if college is the best four years of a person’s life, but we are so lucky to be Commodores and to have Vanderbilt and Nashville as a partial home. Enjoy your remaining time here, every minute of it. Anchor down Class of 2016.

It’s been a pleasure.

Vanderbilt