There’s nowhere better to grow up than Southern California

Growing up in Southern California was mostly sunshine

hometown

Hometown pride isn’t that strange of a concept. Where you were born and raised acts as that sweet spot of nostalgia, which is one of the strongest forces we as human beings possess.

I grew up in Moorpark, California, which is 45 minutes North of Los Angeles and 30 minutes inland from the Pacific.

Moorpark is a farmy suburb whose quaintness was and I much appreciated in allowing me room to roam and grow, but I consider all of Southern California to be my hometown in many ways. As anyone from Southern California would tell you, you have driven everywhere and count yourself knowledgeable on the special culture that is “SoCal” (also we never say that, except for right now in irony).

I am a decisive driver from growing up in Southern California. We all like to complain about Nashville drivers, but let me tell you why I am particularly equipped to road rage in the Music City. Traffic doesn’t phase me, but what does is when people languidly change lanes. I grew up asking “how long is the car ride” every time my family piled into our Suburban, and anything under 40 minutes was a quick trip.

California is so spread out that I spent probably half my childhood driving places. Due to all the time I spent in a car, getting my license was a right of passage that truly meant freedom. If you don’t make quick and aggressive movements in the car in Southern California, you will be run off the road. 

California gets stereotyped with chill granolas, but honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have always been health conscious, and I truly appreciate good produce and fresh food because Souther California prides itself in sustaining our bodies as well as the earth with healthy eating habits.

This type of consciousness may seem hippie-dippie in a city drenched in BBQ sauce, but I am extremely grateful for my healthy upbringing and awareness of the importance of sustainable, locally sourced food that has taken root in Nashville as of late.

My creativity stems for “The Golden State.” Southern California is home to some of the most diverse cultures and arts – through neighborhoods, festivals, and museums. Beyond growing up with an array of perspectives though, I found my imagination stimulated with the close proximity to Disneyland and the film industry. People think everyone from California knows a movie star, which is partially true. But what people don’t realize is that being around storytelling on such a grand scheme has taught me the glory human minds can craft from the most basic instinct – the desire to share.

I see college, my relationships, and Nashville itself as a tapestry and each triumph or trial I meet, I try to meet with that spirit of creativity and imagination Southern California weaved within me.

I am a happy person overall, and I consider this largely due to Southern California’s immensity of sunshine that warmed my body and heart all throughout my upbringing. California has the unique beauty of forest and beach, both equally bathed in that Southern sun.

I was and continue to be overwhelmed with perspective at how small I am in this world because of the diverse playground of terrains and beautiful scenery of nature and city combined Southern California provided me with. I owe my sunny attitude and appreciation for all types of natural beauty to California.

Although I don’t plan on living in Southern California after graduation, I am forever grateful for the grandiosity of nature and imagination it bred in me, as well as for the relaxed but decisive nature I now have. Going back to visit is always like a warm hug.

Southern California truly is a place designed for people to vacation to that I was lucky enough to grow up in.

Vanderbilt