We should doll up for class and dress down for drinking

Vanderbilt, you’re getting the college dress code all wrong

Vanderbilt students always make fun of the two dress options that seem to permeate the campus culture: dressed to the nines and workout clothes. Both are equally mocked and embraced by us as students, but I have always thought that we were doing it wrong. The traditional and most widely accepted approach to the unspoken campus dress code is that we dress casual and comfortable for class and then whip out our best attire for a night at the bars.

I am here to tell you that we should be reversing this notion! One extra lazy night when I wanted to go to old Lonnie’s (R.I.P.), I just wore workout clothes because I didn’t have the strength to change – I ended up having THE BEST time being comfortable.

Thinking upon this idea further, I decided to test out my hypothesis this week and report back to you guys.

Here are my findings on dressing up for class and dressing down for partying:

Why dress up for class?

Professors appreciate the effort

Instead of trekking to office hours or attending additional lectures for extra credit (but really do those things because they help) you can just slap on a blazer, dress, or tie to show your professors that you take their class as seriously as you would a job.

They will absolutely notice that you appreciate their time and knowledge, which will go a long when when they reach for that red pen.

It will impress potential employers

Employers and companies are always visiting college campuses for job fairs and the like, and you never know what you’ll stumble across during your free hour in Rand or when you’re procrastinating in Alumni.

We need all the help we can to get that paycheck when we graduate, and if you do happen upon a cool company, you’ll impress them from the start. First impressions aren’t everything, but a good one definitely helps.

You’ll feel superior to other students

That know-it-all who raises their hand or speaks every 0.7 seconds is everyone’s worst nightmare. But if you’re into that self-appreciation in a more subtle way, dress up for class.

You won’t have to lift a finger, but you’ll still feel empowered, like you have a leg up for the teacher’s pet title.

You’ll get shit done

Most importantly, there is tons of evidence out there that proves dressing for success gives students more focus in the classroom. You will feel confident, like you didn’t eat 3 boxes of pizza rolls and cry over future unemployment last night. You will be a walking billboard for “I want to be that when I grow up.”

Be your own inspiration and dress for how you want the day to go.

Why dress down for drinking?

You don’t have to stress about spills

Full glasses, drunk people, and bumping music are a recipe for disaster when it comes to that cute outfit and new shoes you wore to look nice while you partied tonight. Instead, try some yoga pants and an oversized tee-shirt. These items are all easily washable, and if they get ruined replacing them won’t burn a hole in your pocket.

Dress down and frolic through the frats, no stress. Even their gross floors can’t hurt this ensemble.

To ward off socializers

Let’s be honest, oftentimes people are the worst. If you’re dressed down at a bar, people aren’t going to go out of their way to swarm you for awkwardly loud conversations as you yell over music and wish you were in the shadows of the corner sipping your Bud Light.

Dress down and you control the social situation without worrying about people and talking and being polite.

Freakin’ comfort

Wearing workout clothes makes the most practical sense when it comes to going out. In flexible clothing, you can go wherever the night takes you. It’s perfect for dancing on elevated surfaces, for running away from the bouncer, for fighting through the frat crowds to get a beer.

You will be ready for whatever your evening requires of you and you will feel like a boss who doesn’t need to impress anyone. You’re just doing your own thing.

It doubles as pajamas

Stumbling a little when you get out of your Uber? Your roommate already asleep? What a horrible time to rustle through drawers looking for something freeing to pass out in! If you dress down to go out, all you have to do is fall into bed.

No more shade from your roommates about how you were too drunk to find pajamas. Head straight from the party to dreamland.

Pull out your slacks and pearls for class, running shoes and caps for bars. You’ll be much happier – I guarantee it.

Vanderbilt