VSG finally accept Newcomer as candidate

More good news for the outsider freshman’s campaign for Student Body President

Jack Newcomer has confirmed that Vanderbilt Student Government has reversed their decision to banning him from running in next week’s Presidential race. Newcomer said the Election Commission told him their decision in a meeting on Thursday.

The decision comes on the face of outcry that the Student Government is attempting to stifle an outside of the establishment voice, after they first claimed there couldn’t be a write-in for the general election and later that Newcomer had violated campaigning rules about finding endorsements and appealing to the media.

Jack has an active group of supporters, some of whom have taken to the internet anonymously to blast the other two candidates, with Yik Yak posts accusing the Jude of driving a Nissan Cube and believing that “Ireland deserved the potato famine”, and that Ariana doesn’t poop. In addition, satirical photos and videos have been posted mocking the two campaign’s attempts to show themselves as anti-establishment.

An image taken from https://vsg2016blog.wordpress.com/, showing Jude, Ariana and Carly Stone as puppets of Jackson Vaught, current Speaker of the Senate

Newcomer said:

“I think students will admire my courage in standing up for what I believe in, and make them feel comfortable doing so. I want students to see what Dan and I are doing, and if we win, it will set a precedent for all students now and in the future that anyone on campus can make a difference here.”

He said he’s pleased with the ruling, and plans to campaign hard the next few days to get his name and message out before students vote in the election next Monday and Tuesday.

Newcomer anticipates support from the “silent majority” who are frustrated with VSG and the oldboy’s club bureaucracy.

He said: “I imagine it will come from upperclassmen who admire my boldness and initiative even after members of VSG threatened to take me to the Judicial Court and bended the rules to shut me down”.

Supporters of Jack Newcomer can write his name in the historic online ballot on YES next week.

Vanderbilt