Presidential candidates launch their campaigns

VSG approved candidates, Ariana and Jude, publish their platforms

This morning at 8am, campaigning for the 2016 Vanderbilt Student President race officially began. After the controversy surrounding Jack Newcomer’s candidacy, everyone is following the race more carefully than ever. But what do the candidates actually care about? Here’s the low-down on their official platforms…

Ariana Fowler

‘A Fresh Start’

Community. Clarity. Collaboration – these are the 3 C’s of Ariana and Taylor’s platform. Holistically, the two want to increase VSG’s ability to improve campus life, create a translucent and accessible Student Government, and use VSG to create a more wholly intersectional campus. Some smaller aims within these categories include:

• Partner with campus resources to provide seminars on adult life, such as filing taxes, paying for student loans, and negotiating salaries.
  • Host monthly listening sessions open to the entire student body, as well as weekly office hours to address more specific student and organizational concerns.
  • Eliminate excess internal costs as well as increase transparency regarding the allocation of funds within the organization.
  • Build VSG as a gathering place, think tank, and facilitator for broader campus issues.
  • Work with leaders in the Greek community and administration to create a practical response to the recent Faculty Senate Task Force report, as well as work within individual councils to further collaboration both inside and outside of Greek life.

Jude Cohen

Jenn Li Photography

‘Voice Your VU’

Well-being, Representation, Empowerment, Collaboration, and Knowledge are the cornerstones of Jude and Andrew’s platform. Their goal is to use VSG to advocate in these five major areas. Some of the more specific goals within these categories speak to the depth of their platform:

• Reduce the stigma associated with mental health through speak-out panels, tough topics seminars, and advocacy workshops across campus in partnership with organizations like Active Minds and LEAPS.
  • Advocate for a pre-registration period for athletes for courses required for majors.
  • Collaborate with the Office of Financial Aid and Vice Chancellor Hill to implement a personal finance program.
  • Hold separate bi-weekly meetings with leadership of other campus umbrella orgs in order to foster stronger communication and collaboration.
  • Formulate a Diversity & Inclusion major and minor with the Arts & Science Dean’s office.

Jack Newcomer

Jack has not yet published his platform. However the following is a brief outline of his major policy aims:

• Improve the experience of international students at Vanderbilt
  • Change the way the IFC handles violations within Greek Life by reducing punishments for minor infractions
  • Hold VSG accountable to the entire student body
  • Expand dining options and increase the flexibility of the meal plan

VSG has not approved Newcomer’s candidacy and has said his campaign is ineligible. More information on VSG’s position and Newcomer’s response will be published shortly.

Vanderbilt