Vanderbilt’s conversion to ‘all gender’ restrooms not only restricted to women’s

Director of the Office of LGBTQI Life recognized that there had been inconsistencies

Representatives from both Plant Operations and the Office of LGBTQI have challenged speculation regarding changing female restrooms to “all gender” while leaving male restrooms the same.

Mark Petty from Plant Ops has said the sign on the door in Furman was “More than likely a mistake.”

Great news!

And indeed, the ‘All Gender Restroom’ sign taped over the multiple stall women’s room in Furman mistakenly remained after a trans teach-in last Saturday. The group taped the sign onto the women’s restroom in question, but did not notify Plant Operations about the temporary change, and also forgot to remove the sign once finished.

In 2014 Vanderbilt, in conjunction with the LGBTQI Office, moved forward with a proposal to convert single stall restrooms around campus into all gender restrooms. One of the proposal’s signees was my RA at the time. Proud.

Multiple stall restrooms are to remain either male or female – thus causing the confusion in Furman.

Christopher Purcell, Director of the Office of LGBTQI Life said: “As we have gone about this project, we recognize that there have been some inconsistencies.

“When people bring those examples forward, we work with the academic unit in that building and facilities to resolve such inconsistencies.”

Someone in the comments section of our previous article mentioned one of these inconsistencies in Stevenson, where a woman’s single stall has in fact been converted to all gender while the male’s remains.

And while some men’s single stall restrooms have also been modified as well (according to someone named Paul, from the comments section of the previous article) it is important to note that changes to women’s restrooms are easier to facilitate given that everyone can use a standing toilet but not everyone can use a urinal.

Lol, no matter how many times I accidentally walk into a men’s bathroom I forget that not all bathrooms look like the women’s.

If you look closely you can see that the men’s restroom is multiple stall and the all gender is single stall

USAC’s proposal should continue to come in handy towards appropriate transition into all gender restrooms, much of which has been done in various building’s around campus.

Single stall restrooms should be changed, leaving multiple stall restrooms as-is until there is a way to convert both men’s and women’s multiple stall restrooms into all gender.

Vanderbilt