Munchie Mart to stock avocados and nut butter after freshman’s petition

The most basic of petitions

Freshman Emma Nichols has started a petition to bring avocados to the Commons Munchie Mart.

The petition gathered almost 100 signatures in a couple of hours, and was actioned by the VU Dining staff almost instantaneously.  Within a week, the Commons Munchie was stocked with assorted flavors of Justin’s almond and peanut butter and Fresh avocado

Emma said she saw a need for healthier food and decided to take initiative.

She said: “I felt like I was wasting my meal swipes on junk food I wouldn’t eat.

Plus, freshman are the only ones required to have a meal plan so why is their Munchie the most limited?”

Emma’s slogan was “Change Munchie, Change the World” and she wants to encourage other people to start requesting things they might want for Munchie.  Other suggestions for things to bring to Munchie include:

• Chicken flavored ramen noodles- cause who the hell likes the beef flavor? No one, I can tell you that.
  • Cookie dough in other places besides Branscomb, it should definitely also be counted as an entrée cause we all know a roll of cookie dough is a delicious and nutritious meal.
  • Sweetmint Orbit gum needs to be stocked all the time, obviously no one likes the other flavors. Munchie needs to get their priorities straight.
  • There was an apparent request for alcohol but pretty sure no petition can change VU Dining Staff’s mind on that. You can already get chasers and condoms, just settle for that and move on.

As a prospective student at Vanderbilt one of the very first things I was introduced to was Munchie Mart.  Little did I know that roughly a year later many of my meals would revolve around one of these mini, junk food loaded, grocery stores.

For those who don’t know what MunchieMart is/are, (aka non-Vandy students), they are stores scattered around campus which are open 24/7 for the students dining convenience and desires.  And by dining desires I mean microwavable Kraft Mac n Cheese and pop tarts.

Although Munchie Mart, often referred to simply as Munchie, provides an abundance of unhealthy drunk snacks, an obvious necessity, Munchie also carries a few healthier options.  For example, there is almost always an assortment of fruit, Greek yogurt, kale smoothies, and energy bars.

However, some Munchies have better supplies than others.  Both the Munchies in Kissam and Branscomb keep a stock of avocados, Justin’s organic nut butter, and other more exotic fruits such as mangos while the Commons Center Munchie was previously stuck with plain old berries and bananas.

Dream big munchies lovers.

Vanderbilt