Vanderbilt is the Hogwarts of the South

Most magical students in the nation?

People often refer to Vanderbilt as the Harvard of the South, but now there’s another school we’re being compared to. JK Rowling recently incited widespread Potter hysteria by revealing there were a whole host of wizarding schools dotted all over the globe.

While we don’t have many details yet about Ilvermorny, the school in North America, here are a few reasons why she definitely based it on Vanderbilt.

House pride

Although we didn’t have to put on a sorting hat, many a first-year could be heard muttering “not Gillette” under their breath as they waited for the housing assignment email that would determine their fate. And, needless to say, the fight for the Commons Cup is pretty intense.

Forget the Hogwarts House Cup, its more like our Goblet of Fire. I’d rather take on fire-breathing dragons and vicious merpeople than have a HAC member catch me taking the elevator.

Members of Greek life sport their letters on bid day like Gryffindors rock their red and gold scarves during snowy winters. It would be too difficult to match specific fraternities and sororities with their corresponding Hogwarts house, but it may be worth noting that the SAE castle looks a tiny bit like Malfoy Manor.

Great feasts and even greater balls

Vanderbilt often hosts special feasts good enough rival those enjoyed by Hogwarts students. Rand Christmas is a particular favorite with so much food the dishes really do seem to be magically replenishing themselves. We also go all out with grand occasions, this year’s Commons Ball was rumored to have a budget of $100,000.

The galaxy theme made for a mystical night with fortune tellers, caricaturists and a karaoke station that can only be described as otherworldly. The house presidents partnered up and took to the dance-floor in a truly magical fashion, looking way better than Ron Weasley did in his lacy dress robes at the Hogwarts Yule Ball.

Butterbeer on tap

Hillsboro is just as cute as the wizarding village of Hogsmeade. Walk up 21st Ave and you will not only find a multitude of mystical trinkets in Pangea but enough butterbeer flowing out of The Village Tavern to keep you in a magical place for the entire weekend.

If you head downtown, you’ll also find Nashville’s famed Printer’s Alley, which is home to the London themed Fleet Street Pub. Could this be our answer to Diagon Alley’s Leaky Cauldron? And we all know The Pub at Overcup Oak is just as magical as Hogwarts favorite, The Three Broomsticks. 

Gen Chem is worse than Potions

Survived by few, and feared by all, entering a Gen Chem test is arguably more terrifying than descending into Snape’s dingy dungeon. The professors might be less menacing, but you will probably still emerge in tears, with nothing to comfort you but the thought of the day when you will no longer have to take Gen Chem.

Ghosts

While Vanderbilt isn’t home to any nearly-headless ghosts, the random alums wandering around campus often seem like visions of times gone by.

They pop up unexpectedly, point at new additions to campus that they can’t quite believe have sprung up in the fifty years they’ve been away (thankfully usually buildings rather than non-white students), and disappear again in wisps of smoke (once the administration’s convinced them to give us some more money for some more new stuff). 

The Honor Council are actually dementors

Strident protectors of integrity, the Honor Council can usually be found gliding around campus in well-fitted dark suits. They oversee the trials of those unfortunate enough to be accused of behaving dishonestly and their presence inspires enough fear to prevent the most unprincipled of test-takers from bending the rules. Although there’s no Azkaban, students who stray from the righteous path can always be sent to the VUPD, or worse, Student Accountability.

Is The Tab the new Daily Prophet?

Vanderbilt