The fashion stereotypes of UVA guys

Even though there are a lot of wannabe frat bros around, there are some that break the mold

Boys’ fashion nowadays can be tricky to get right. As guys are emerging from their phase of fashion obliviousness that was so real in high school, they start to show their own personalities through what they wear. Inevitably most of them will end up on the preppy side of the spectrum, I am here to show how inaccurate the assumption is that UVA students only dress preppy.

Preppy

Lets be honest, the reputation does exist for a reason so let’s get this out of the way. Josh wears a Polo button down, the typical khaki shorts, a brown leather belt, and a navy blazer to complete the look.

“I like to dress preppy because the clean and colorful outfits mask the mess of a human being that is me inside,” Josh said.

Colorful

The accent sock trend, if you will, has become a bigger aspect of boys’ fashion in recent years. Nic can always be seen wearing colorful socks that stand out because of their pattern matched with a standard pair of Vans.

Nic on the far left

Statement pieces

Guys like Jake aren’t afraid to wear different pieces that draw attention to their personality. The fox on his sweater takes up pretty much the entire outfit, and to be frank he doesn’t really need much else to draw attention from it. Tip: unique items like these are so easy to find in thrift stores (and are so worth it).

Jake shows off his natural side with this feline-inspired outfit.

Dapper

Guys like Trey just know what’s up. He wore a black pinstripe suit with a red patterned tie and a white dress shirt to his mock trial tournament. Granted, this isn’t for everyday, but how could I not include such a handsome look?

Truly mock trial chic.

Casual

Mehron, like many other guys, dresses for comfort while still impressing us all. He wears a UVA t-shirt, black shorts, stance socks and Vans. 

Mehron likes to keep it casual while repping his Hoo pride

Comfortable

Guys like Bojo will dress for comfort while still making sure they are dressed to the “UVA standard.” He wore a casual white t-shirt with a pair of jeans and Vans for a day at Carter Mountain.

Andrew “Bojo” chooses comfort and style for a day on Carter Mountain.

Guys fashion has no rhyme or reason. It comes in as wide a range of variety as the boys who employ it. I think it’s time we appreciate the creativity and variety.

University of Virginia