Islamophobic graffiti written on Muslim students’ door

The word ‘terrorist’ was written outside a Brown College dormitory

Two muslim students were targeted by Islamophobic graffiti scrawled on their dorm walls.

The vandalism consisted of a message written in lead pencil which read, “terrorist”. The message also contained an arrow pointing to the door of the two Muslim students. Additionally, the vandalism occurred on UVA grounds, at Brown Residential college. It is believed that this message was meant to intimidate and target these Muslim students. The University stated in an email that they reject and condemn this behavior and this type of behavior.

The university said in an email that they “categorically condemn and reject this kind of hateful message.”

The University police responded to a call notifying them of this crime. This is now an on going police investigation and anyone with information regarding the event is encouraged to come forward, using the Just Report it system by clicking this link www.virginia.edu/justreportit/bias.

This is not the first hate crime to recently take place on UVA campus. Just 8 days ago, anti-semitic graffiti was spray-painted on the UVA student residence, Grandmarc. This graffiti consisted of language known to be used in the Holocaust. This crime also continues to be an on-going investigation, and students with any information are also encouraged to come forward. 

University of Virginia