We filtered Burnett’s vodka to see if it tasted better

It actually works!

Burnett’s is known for being cheap vodka. It’s convenient to buy for parties where the alcohol budget may be a little small, but its low price comes with some limits. Some say it doesn’t sit well on the stomach while others say it just doesn’t taste good. Some people say it makes no difference!

Well to those of you who don’t like Burnett’s for its taste there might be a solution. Myth has it that Burnett’s will taste like higher end vodka when purified through a Purify water filter. The Tab served as your personal myth busters and put the Burnett’s myth to the test.

The experiment went as follows:

1.) Buy the cheapest Burnett’s at the liquor store.

2.) Half the bottle was filtered through the Purify water filter while the rest of it wasn’t tampered with.

3.) The filtered half was filtered through the water filter 4-5 times.

After I filtered one half of the Burnett’s I put the filtered half in a separate bottle. Drew Perkins, 21, and I took one shot of the unfiltered Burnett’s first so that we would have grounds for comparison. After we got a taste of the regular Burnett’s, we took a shot of the Burnett’s that was filtered. The result: the filtered Burnett’s tasted much much better. To say that it tasted like high end vodka is overreaching in my opinion, but it did taste bland and was therefore easier to drink. The filter almost completely took the taste of orange away (we bought the Orange flavored Burnett’s), and it didn’t have the stingy taste of liquor. According to Drew, it also didn’t burn when he took the shot of filtered Burnett’s like it does when you take a shot of the regular Burnett’s.

If you want high end vodka you’re going to have to shell out the money for it, but in the case that funds might be running low sometimes but you still want some good booze the Burnett’s experiment helps!

University of Virginia