The dos and don’ts of Halloween in college

From students who have survived at least one Halloweekend

One of the best weekends of the year is rapidly approaching, so you can finally wear that costume you’ve been brainstorming since August, and you don’t have to worry about going out in “real” clothes. Halloween is no longer just one night of success measured in the quantity of candy you managed to reel in. Now that you’re in college, this holiday can last up to an entire week if you’re willing to let it do so (Godspeed if you do).

Whether your costume consists of a white sheet with eyeholes cut out, an intricate collection of props or essentially no clothing at all, you wear it with pride. With that being said, there are still some general guidelines you should follow for a successful Halloweekend.

DO:

Take pictures

This is one of the few weekends of the year where it’s acceptable to look as ridiculous as possible, and you’re going to want to remember that.

Go for a group costume with friends because it’s super cute

Throwback to the Powder Puff girls.

Trick or treat on the lawn

Take advantage of the greatest Halloween tradition at UVA. There’s food, costumes and cute kids – what more could you ask for as a college student?

Be conscious of the temperature

Furs and frats usually don’t mix…but neither do skirts and sub-30-degree weather.

Have back-up costume items in case you need another costume

The last thing you want to be doing is scrambling to find something to wear at 9pm when you’re supposed to be out at 10. A jersey is always a good quick option.

DON’T:

Be an angel or devil . . . unless you want to match everyone else 

We don’t want to see mouse/cat ears either, please.

NETFLIX AND CHILL

That is sooooo 2015.

Wear something that restricts your motion

Never prevent yourself from being able to bust a move. See photo below.

Yes, he is wearing a marshmallow suit.

Incorporate too many props

You don’t want to lose anything in the vortex of the dance floor.

Black out on the first night

Halloweekend is a marathon, not a race. Don’t sprint the first mile or you’ll miss out on the rest of the fun!

University of Virginia