First Year problems we all can relate to

‘It’s not campus, it’s Grounds’

Before entering my first year at UVA, I was a bit apprehensive. Being an out-of-state kid, there weren’t very many people from my area coming with me. So naturally I was worried about making friends and missing home. But these minor bumps in the road that come from being a First Year have made my experience a bit more hilarious.

Not Having a Car

This was something that I knew was going to be different, but I didn’t think the consequences through fully. Learning the bus system, or trekking a mile away from New Dorms to class is a struggle, especially when you’ve woken up late for that 9 a.m. and it’s pouring outside.

That Dining Hall Food

There’s only so many times you can eat pizza or hit the salad bar before you are just sick of it. A chance to hit up the Corner for some real food is chance my friends and I never miss out on. The College Inn is a great place for students to hit up for big portions at a reasonable price.

Communal Bathrooms

It’s totally like summer camp for a First Year – carrying that shower caddy down the hall and into a stall, and then emerging like a drowned rat for the hike back to your room. Not to mention when you run into a guy in only your towel, it’s an incredibly vulnerable experience.

Learning the Lingo

It’s not campus, it’s Grounds, and I’m not a freshman, I’m a First Year. That took some getting used to, and every time I messed up I looked around to make sure I wasn’t going be kicked out that instant. Also, #outofstateprobs, the Good Ole Song took a lot of fumbling before I got it right.

Finding Your Group

Whether you are from another state like I am, or are a true blue-and-orange Virginian, finding your group in a class size bigger than your whole high school can be a daunting task. But once I did find people to make late night Crossroads runs with, nothing could be sweeter!

University of Virginia