The Ambassador Program – what they can and can’t do

UVA Police Department’s Benjamin Rexrode explains

The new addition to UVA

For a little more than a year now, students have seen the addition of the Ambassadors wearing the bright yellow security jackets in areas such as The Corner. Although most people know they are there, students repeatedly report their confusion on the actual function of the Ambassador Program, what the ambassadors are allowed to do to help and when we can really approach them.

Benjamin Rexrode, who works with the UVA police department, provided some answers to these questions.

“Community and personal safety is a top priority at UVA” said Rexrode. “The Ambassador Program, sometimes referred to as ‘Safety Concierges,’ are an asset set in place to support this priority. They are out in the community engaging students, faculty, community members, and visitors on a daily basis. They are there to be a resource to the community and be a highly visible and engaging partner in creating a safe environment for everyone.”

What can they do?

Most students know that Ambassadors are here for our safety, but what is it they can really do? A lot of students also fear that going to an Ambassador could get them into trouble if they had been drinking. Rexrode says this is not the case.

“The Ambassadors do not have any legal authority like police do in that they cannot arrest, detain or criminally charge someone. It is not their goal to be getting citizens into trouble, but rather to be there as a safety resource should somebody need assistance. They will contact the police or EMS if someone is committing a crime or in need of medical assistance.”

Students have also questioned whether or not the Ambassadors are a part of the UVA police department or whether they are a separate program in charge of themselves. Rexrode explains that the Ambassadors are employed by the RMC Events which is a company based in the city of Richmond. They have been working in the Charlottesville area for several years and while they are not employees of the UVA Police Department, the UVA PD has oversight of the program and communicate with the Ambassadors on a daily basis.

Ambassador Headquarters at the Corner

Overall, the Ambassadors are supposed to be approachable to community members who are concerned about matters of safety. If a student does not feel comfortable approaching a police officer or if one isn’t available, the Ambassadors are there as another resource.

Some of their responsibilities include:

Bicycle, vehicle, and walking patrols; stationary positions; walking escorts; providing transportation options and suggestions; identifying individuals in distress or in need of assistance; alert police to hazards; as well as medical emergencies; suspicious circumstances, and other potential criminal activity.

“The Ambassadors do not have law enforcement power and are not a replacement for 911. If someone needs to make a police report, always contact the respective police department. However, if you feel that you or someone else is in need of assistance or has a question, the Ambassadors are there to help.”

Time will tell

With the program only being over a little than a year old, there seem to be some kinks that still need to be worked out. Various students have reported the Ambassadors as being ineffective, and a few have reported that they have been denied help. This begs the question, do they really want to help or are they just there for show? Other students have also argued to the opposite, telling stories of how an ambassador has walked, or even driven, them home at times.

University of Virginia