The unofficial, comprehensive guide for UVA transfers

‘You’re only half a member of the Class of 2018’

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me “UVA isn’t a great school for transfers,” my tuition could very well pay for itself. If I let myself believe that not-entirely-true statement, however, I don’t think I would have ever found a way to settle in at UVA. Being a transfer is undoubtedly one of the harder UVA experiences, but in a way is pretty unique. Everyone you meet seemingly knows their entire friend group from First Year Dorms or even earlier, and fitting in and finding a place in the community does seem like a miraculous feat. The only advice I have to share with current (and future transfers) is please (for your sake) live anywhere other than transfer student housing.

Even with one semester at UVA under my belt, an amazing group of friends and sisters, some of my friends still lovingly joke that I’m only half a member of the Class of 2018 – but this might have to do with the fact that I’ve stopped receiving Third Year Council emails this semester but get Second Year ones instead…

I reached out to students that transferred to the University in recent years and even a recent transfer-graduate and TSPA (and our lovely former editor at The Tab), as well as this year’s TSPAs to see if we could help future transfers survive and find their home at UVA.

Amelia, 3rd year, Fall 2015 transfer

First game of the season!

The best part of my UVA experience to date has been participating in UVA traditions like Lighting of the Lawn, Rotunda Sing, and football games. The transition to a new school again where I knew nobody was overwhelming but especially because this time I had far fewer resources and school organized events.

Get involved with anything and everything that interests you. The best way to make friends as a transfer is to throw yourself into a community. It is exhausting having to do this, but well worth it! Only use Lou’s List for class registration! Don’t even try to use SIS. But make sure, above all, you maintain a positive outlook. It is remarkably difficult to transfer. At points it may seem like you do not fit in at UVA for whatever reason, but give it your all and reach out to people to help.

Tyler, 3rd year, Spring 2016 transfer

When I transferred to UVA, I wish I had known that Spring Transfer students only have a month after being accepted before they move to Charlottesville. I lived relatively close to UVA and was able to meet people willing to sublet their apartment with me. This was vital, as living in dorms sounded painful during the spring semester, plus it locks you into a meal plan. Finding a place off grounds was the right fit for me and it may be for many of you. You can still meet plenty of people–in fact, I was able to build community by hosting a Friday pancakes and coffee brunch at the apartment. By the end of semester, I ended up feeding over 80 people! Consider subletting. The peak of my experience was everything up until your first midterm. In the honeymoon faze you’re thinking to yourself on the way to class, “wow, I go to freaking UVA!” The pit hits you when you’re walking into your midterm exam thinking, “Dang, I go to UVA.” In all seriousness though, the pit is when you first arrive and realize you don’t know anyone. However, the peak is at the end of the semester you look back and think to yourself, wow Lord thank you for placing the people you have in my life. 

Always remember it doesn’t matter who you were at your last school, go out there and introduce yourself to everybody in your classes, your professors and people around you. Soon, you begin to feel known and you belong…because you do belong. Also, get a bike and go down West Main Street and Downtown. Charlottesville has the highest restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. Eating out can be cheaper than paying for the dining hall.  

I found community within an organization called Inter-Varsity. You can join a small group of people from your year and come together in fellowship weekly to make dinner, chat about life, Christ and bond with one other. It’s important to have trustworthy friends to support and challenge you throughout college. Additionally, the Christian community at UVA has a house on Chancellor St. that is prime spot to study and open 24/7.

My ultimate advice would to do the things you are most interested in and you’ll naturally meet people that share the same passionates as you.

Katrina, Class of 2015, Former TSPA and Fall 2012 transfer

As a transfer, I wish I had known to take advantage of my TSPA – I was shy to do so and I think they really were good resources, or can be! The best part of my experience was connecting with my roommates, they’re still my best friends and I don’t know where I’d be without them. My low point was definitely not taking advantage of resources. I still don’t quite know how to navigate Alderman. My best advice, as cliched as it sounds, is really to put yourself out there. It’s a big school, you might embarrass yourself but who cares! Ask for directions, ask people to lunch, go talk to professors. Everyone really is friendly and if they aren’t, fuck ’em. The most helpful resources were my roommates and friends. Don’t be afraid to ask them questions, they already like you you won’t bother them. Also librarians are awesome and even when you need something that’s online they know so much more than you know and can help you find ANYTHING.

It’s important to find people you’re comfortable around. It can be tempting to try to find a friend group as early as possible but my most important and long lasting connections were people I felt I could be myself with. Don’t be afraid to wander around by yourself – walking to class alone or eating alone isn’t the end of the world, and can be nice because you get to navigate in a way you might not be able to otherwise. Take advantage of professors and even administrators! I went to lunch with Dean Groves my second year, just by calling his office.

Above all, don’t ever feel inferior because you are a transfer. You are as much of a Wahoo as everyone else. UVA is my home, my family and the best decision I’ve ever made. Being a transfer doesn’t hinder that. Go HOOS!!!

Ian, 3rd year, Spring 2016 transfer and current TSPA

If I could travel back in time to give myself advice in regards to my transfer experience, I would not provide myself any information I didn’t already know, but instead reinforce advice I know I would overlook. The normal tenants of transfer advice (join clubs, get involved, dive-in, etc.) in my mind were trite and more abstract than applicable. However, as I now know, these platitudes are such for a reason: they are tried and true methods of settling in a new place. So, to new transfer students, I urge you not to think of this advice as corny per se, but instead as truly useful.

For me, the excitement of trying something new was certainly the peak of my transfer experience, and the reality of that difficulty doubles as the pit. I think if I had learned to temper my emotions more, it would have been a smoother transition. Remembering that even if you miss your previous institution, you did not necessarily make the wrong decision. And likewise, just because you enjoyed transferring certainly does not imply you should do it again.

My best advice is to remind yourself that you wanted to transfer for a reason even if, at times, it may feel like you made a mistake. The mind takes the shape of what it dwells upon: appreciate your situation and it will appreciate you.

As far as resources, make sure you reach out to your TSPA (transfer Student Peer Advisor). They will be happy to help you with any questions you have. Aside from that, use your student organizations as resources in themselves.

GET INVOLVED.

Anonymous, 4th year, Spring 2016 transfer

Starting at UVA in January, I wish I had know that your GPA does transfer along with your credits and unfortunately, there is not much you can do about that once you are here, but it is annoying nonetheless. Make sure you pay attention to your transcript to ensure that you are given credit in a way that most helps you. The pit of my experience is the uncertainty that comes with starting not just your first semester, but every semester. You just always feel “off schedule” from everyone else. Continually learning new requirements and what didn’t/did transfer in terms of credits can really alter your academic plan, but it’s all worth it when you finally feel comfortable at school, which may not have been the case at your previous one. Other students, transfer and non, and your friends are the best resources for any of your questions. Most importantly, find a place or group of people that make you feel welcome and a part of the UVA college experience.

Nigel, 3rd year, Spring 2016 transfer 

The only people more clueless than first-years are mid-year transfers. On my second day of being at UVA, I was the only person in my house, my room had poor insulation, and I had no idea where anything was. The height of my transfer experience was the day I got my bid for the fraternity I’m currently in. After three weeks of taking classes, meeting hundreds of people, and navigating different parts of the UVA community for rush events, my bid coincided with my smooth transition to UVA. Given you’re not coming in as a first year, I’d recommend dipping your toes in as many ponds as you can. In the several dozen emails I sent to organizations around grounds, every single one of them got back to me within a day or two. It’s always better to go late to a party than to have never gone at all. The most helpful resources I had to ease me into my transition were several family friends who also studied at UVA. Finding a solid group of friends that you fit in with is crucial–it makes the transition to UVA smoother. From finding housing, to researching courses to take, having fellow students around you going through the same experience is extremely helpful when you want to try something new.

Katie, 4th year, Fall transfer

I wish I was more aware of the competitive atmosphere at UVA. I transferred from Virginia Tech where things aren’t as challenging academically or socially. Clubs didn’t have application processes attached and classes were more relaxed. I knew that UVA would be harder, especially coming in as a transfer student without having a ton of connections beforehand, but I didn’t realize how different it actually would be. You definitely have to make sure you keep up with the readings here because there will be plenty of information that teachers will never go over in lecture, something I didn’t have to worry about in my classes at Tech. You also need to be able to apply the information you learn instead of straight recall. Once you learn the culture (and bomb a few tests), you catch on quickly, but that transition is definitely a rough hurdle.

The pit of my transfer experience was my first year here, probably the middle of the first semester. I decided to live in the transfer housing offered here, but my experience was less than stellar. I should have known something was off when I asked a tour guide where transfer housing was and they told me it didn’t exist. I lived in a very small and quiet community and wasn’t able to meet a lot of people around me. Even though it was transfer housing, less than half of the people on my floor were transfers. I also came here expecting to get involved in clubs and organizations, and was faced with rejection after rejection from organizations that I was interested in. I didn’t realize how rough it was just to meet people. My peak has been gradual, and I hope I haven’t hit it yet! I had a much better housing situation 3rd year and I was able to start getting into organizations I cared about. Most transfers I know have told me that they’ve felt like an outsider during their first semester or year at UVA and didn’t feel like a part of their class until AT LEAST their second semester at UVA, so I think a lot of people tend to have this rough initial transition. But my time here has been slowly getting better and better, and I hope the best is yet to come!

Don’t give up!! A lot of people have a very hard first semester both academically and socially. Keep working hard in your classes, and go to office hours if you’re struggling. Professors are more than happy to help. Try to form study groups!! If there’s an organization that you’re interested in but don’t get accepted into, try again! Many people in the organization, transfers and non-transfers alike, have had to apply many times to many organizations in order to get accepted, so if you know it’s the right fit for you, try again!

I don’t think that there are a lot of helpful resources in place currently. I can’t recall any that I used. The Transfer Student Peer Advisor program seems like it could be great, but they’re definitely not maximizing their potential. Currently, I’m working with Student Council and the TSPA program to help create and maximize these resources that I would have found helpful during my first year as a transfer student.

I think it’s very important to get involved, regardless of how difficult it may seem. There are definitely clubs out there that don’t have an application process attached, so start off by joining those and meeting some people. It’s less stress to just join without worrying about an application/getting accepted! Ask around to find clubs that are making a difference and involve things that you’re interested in instead of clubs that would look good on a resume. You’ll enjoy them more and make deeper connections with people that way! I also think a good housing situation makes all the difference. My first year here I had a terrible housing situation and I didn’t realize how many ways it affected me until I had a good housing situation the next year. It definitely played a big role in my social experience and my attitude towards UVA changed when I got a better housing situation! And definitely try to make friends in your major because it’s always easier to study (and therefore get better grades) when you have other people to push you!

University of Virginia