Best of the worst: Clem 1 edition

Where else?

Everyone’s favorite first floor earns best spot on Grounds. An unlikely candidate, here’s a few reasons why floor number one of Clem is number one in our hearts.

Convenience

A library that’s open 24 hours? Pinch me, I’m dreaming.

Great company

Want to be around the most stressed out and sleep-deprived people on Grounds? Head on over to Clem 1. From E-school CS majors who’ve been writing code for the past three days (seriously, they don’t even blink), to pre-Comm First Years desperately attempting Carter Doyle’s Dutch knockout, it’s got all kinds.

Comforts of home

Who needs a bed when you’ve got the epitome of chiropractic nirvana on Clem 1? These chairs were designed with simplicity (and a low budget) in mind and will leave your back feeling great after only few hours! Pro tip: pushing two of these guys together makes for a cozy makeshift cot for those pesky all-nighters.

Interior aesthetic

On a similar note, the interior aesthetic of Clem 1 gives Pottery Barn a run for its money. The pale yellow walls and the stale, flickering lights combined with the tasteful sprawl of cracking wood tables and graffitied cubbies truly transcends architectural class.

And who wouldn’t want to spend an hour or eight in this type of environment? The oppressive tranquility found on Clem 1 ensures that no sound, not even the accidental unsilenced ringtone or the brazen crinkling of a bag of chips (the nerve!) escapes unscathed from the indignant glares, scoffs and eye rolls of all those surrounding. If you’re lucky, someone will be in the throes of a respiratory infection and you’ll have the recurring sound of a hacking cough to liven up the otherwise morgue-like noise level.

Finally, Clem 1 guarantees you at least one run in per week with a former embarrassing Trin DFMO. Can you think of a better distraction?

Clem 1, we all love to hate you. But, you remind us that we’re all in this grind together –  after all, we’re here first and foremost as UVA students. You unify us in a way that not many other places here in Charlottesville can. This makes you the best, quirks and all. Never change.

University of Virginia