Fourth Years give advice to First Years

Lou’s List over SIS

With the excitement that comes with the first few weeks of the semester slowly beginning to die down and ruthless professors dramatically increasing reading loads conveniently as the last day to drop classes is upon us, we turned to the Fourth Years. Having just concluded their last first week of their undergraduate careers, they agreed to impart some wisdom on the nuggets that have just begun the next four, and best, years of their lives.

Amanda, McIntire School of Commerce

1) Lou’s list > SIS

2) At the dining hall, make sure you put your dishes all the way on the tray return, especially if you had a bowl of soup…

3) You can do way more on a PC (Excel, Microsoft products), but Macs are prettier and more fun–choose wisely!

4)The dumpling cart line is shortest while classes are in session

5) Enjoy the lawn (and outdoor spaces in general) as much as possible, especially for your sanity

Ally, College of Arts and Sciences

Student charge EVERYTHING at the bookstore (until your parents notice…)

Anonymous, College of Arts and Sciences

Bye second home ?

A photo posted by Natalia Buenaventura (@natalia_buenaventura) on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:46am PDT

Always use theCourseForum when planning your schedule and enrolling in classes.

Aubrie, Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy

Never pass up the opportunity to have new experiences with your friends, if you have time. I sat out a lot of weekend nights throughout my earlier years of college to catch up on work, only to wake up my first day of fourth year and wish I had that much time all over again.

Emma, College of Arts and Sciences

Try to connect with/get to know your teachers, because it’s hard when you’re a fourth year and need a million recommendations and never put that much thought into it before, even if it means going to office hours for no other reason than just to have a conversation with your professor!

Seher, College of Arts and Sciences

Academic advice: Use all of your resources! There are tons and tons of resources at UVA and you need to take advantage of them during your four years before they slip away. If you need something, I can almost guarantee UVA has a resource for it, so just ask and find out what’s out there to help you.

Non-academic advice: Use fake names at frat parties.

University of Virginia