An honest guide to working on The Corner

Corner employees tell you what their jobs are really like

When first applying to jobs on the Corner it’s hard to know what you’ll be getting into. You can try to figure out the reputations of the places or go by what food you like best, but having a current or former employee tell you what it’s really like to work there is priceless.

We put together a list of the major student-employing stores and restaurants on the Corner and reached out to employees to share their experience. Read up before you start handing out your resumes.

Mellow Mushroom

I spoke with a former Mellow Mushroom employee who told me, “one thing I loved about it was meeting students that I wouldn’t have otherwise met.”
“I really liked my coworkers! Most were UVA students but some were not. It was very demanding on graduation weekend and pint/trivia nights, but overall the atmosphere was very casual, which I really liked. Everyone was very friendly and it was fun to meet people that I wouldn’t have crossed paths with otherwise.”

Trinity Irish Pub

I talked to a Trin employee who told me, “working at Trinity is literally the best(other than dealing with blackout people)! The managers are really chill and easy to work for. Everyone on staff is amazing and you make so many friends instantly, since there are so many workers.

“Plus you get discounts on food and drinks which is an amazing perk. However, arguably one of the best perks is being able to bypass the incredibly annoying and long lines (if you’re 21). Overall, this is definitely the best job I’ve had.

Finch

Kyra outside of work

“I started working at Finch last year. Before I started, I knew I would enjoy working there (I mean look at our clothes), but what I didn’t realize was how much I would come to love finch. My boss is one of the most genuine, hilarious people I know, and is always willing to go out of her way to help you with whatever.

“My coworkers are as hard-working as they are fun-loving and manage to make six hour shifts worth looking forward to. There’s nothing I hate about working there, except maybe feeding the birds because they scare me. Finch is one of the best parts of my UVA experience, and has made Charlottesville feel even more like home this past year.”

Cafe Caturra

Cafe Caturra

I, personally, have been working at Cafe Caturra for the past year and overall shifts are very hit-or-miss. If you work a Saturday during a game day, it’s bound to be crazy hectic but you’ll definitely make over $100. If you end up working a random Tuesday morning, chances are you’ll have barely any tables.

All employees get half off food and drink which is great because Caturra food, I think, is a lot nicer and higher quality than some other food on the corner ($6 amazing steak? Sign me up…).

I do think that we get a different crowd than a lot of other restaurants since our food is a little pricier. Its a lot of older couples who can be picky and demanding and expect their food perfect and right away. But I love all my co-workers and most of my bosses! Managers really work with you on your schedule if you don’t want to work a lot during the school year, and co-workers are always so fun and great.

Roots

A former Roots employee told me, “Roots is really easy work. You basically just stand in the same position making salads. The crew members are all really nice and we often bump to Kanye and sing along to Beyonce while making salads. Plus if you work the cash register you get to meet so many new people!
“You also get free Roots bowls at the end of your shift which is so clutch. They even let your friends get discounts if you come in and eat with them. Overall, its a pretty chill job.”

Boylan Heights

Photo from Boylan Heights Instagram

A Boylan hostess told me, “It’s really fun and everyone works so hard! It is difficult to deal with drunk people on game days or weekend nights but when you get a cute family or really nice customers it’s worth it! I would definitely recommend working here to all my friends.

PS you also have to wear short skirts and dress like a school girl…

University of Virginia