Your official guide to Welcome Week at UVA

Get your hula, American flag, rave and Christmas in [insert month here] costumes ready

We are at the height of this excruciating summer heat, and all we can think about is, I need to be back in school now. Summer has been fun, just relaxing, working or interning. But let’s be honest, we all miss the Charlottesville small-town feel and walking to our friends’ apartments just a few blocks away. To those who are new to the University of Virginia, we have a week at the very beginning of the year to welcome first-years and transfers with open arms and open bars.

Booze, booze, booze!

Whether you’ve been stuck home where the drinking age is legitimately 21 and not “UVA 21,” or you’ve been living it up during midsummers, everyone comes back ready to party. The frats are looking for future brothers and girls are looking for lifetime sisters, at least, until the week is done and we start finding our real friends. Bars are open and everyone has their fakes. The parties may be “list-only,” but don’t worry…that new boy you met on the street? He knows a brother. Get your hula, American flag, rave and Christmas in [insert month here] costumes ready!

ABC party: anything but clothes

Block Party

Speaking of parties, the first Saturday night is one of the craziest nights at UVA because it is Block Party Night. Entire streets are covered with red solo cups and crushed up beer cans, students are packed into uncomfortably small lawns and living rooms, everyone is shot-gunning and trying to have the most “college” night ever.

By the end of Block Party night, you can’t see the roads because they’re blocked by people and trash

Alcohol-less nights

Everyone spends their Saturday nights differently. Some might opt out for a quiet night in with a movie and some tea, while others might opt for a crazy night out that they can’t even remember. UVA always has options for all. The University Programs Council tries to make sure everyone is safe and that no one feels pressured into going out and partying if they don’t want to. The UPC organizes programs in Newcomb Hall, filled with games, free food and fun activities until 2am. There are fun things to do for everyone.

Welcome Week means first-year segregation

For the first couple weeks, you’ll be tied and the hip with all of your hallmates, which means boys will be in huge groups of boys and girls will be in huge groups of girls. Dining halls and around grounds in general, you will see boys and girls segregated into their halls. Tip: meet everyone and anyone! Don’t be afraid to mingle.

Convocation!

Welcome Week also means taking breaks from the boring stuff

Welcome Week can be boring or overwhelming if you only focus on those things that you have to do: meetings with RAs, registering for your ID, moving in. But UVA makes sure that you have the ability to take breaks and meet new people by setting up events in central locations. The amphitheater is one of UVA’s most central spots, and there are always activities going on during Welcome Week. “Amp up the Arts” is coming back this with year tie-dye stations, flower crown stations, and more fun crafts. We’ll also bring back Tom Deluca to hypnotize and embarrass our fellow Wahoos. Best of all, J. Cole will be performing in the John Paul Jones Arena, and first-years and transfers get free tickets!

The amp during Tom Deluca’s performance last year

Explore

Before classes take up all of your time, explore the school! Go up and down the Corner and familiarize yourself with it; there are great little nooks and crannies to the popular street! Also, make sure you get outside of the UVA bubble. Sign up for volunteering activities in the greater Charlottesville area. And you must explore downtown Charlottesville. Downtown is only a trolley ride away and offers theaters, restaurants and boutiques!

The farmer’s market every Saturday morning is a great way to start your day with some fresh produce

Football games

Yeah, yeah, we’re not that great at football. But that doesn’t mean that our crowd doesn’t get wild. You can find people pre-gaming almost as soon as they wake up and riding that buzz until the after-party. Whether you drink, you’ll have a blast chanting some school spirit and singing the good ol’ song. Just get your dresses and suits ready!

What’s better than free football games with friends?

Rotunda Sings

Rotunda Sings kicks off the year with UVA’s obsession with a cappella groups, from the classic VGs to the hyped-up dance group, X-Tasee. Rotunda Sings is one example of the numerous festivities hosted at the Lawn, where students and faculty come together to work, play and sing the Good Ol’ Song, of course.

Everyone packed on the Lawn listening to good music and having a good time! [Image from Cav Daily]

Free things and the Activities Fair

The Activities Fair is a day dedicated to the clubs! It’s hot and sweaty, but you’ll trek down to the amphitheater where you’ll sign up for every single club you can. They’ll bribe you with lots of fliers and free stickers, which you can add to your “free things” collection. Throughout your years in college, but especially during Welcome Week, you’ll be rewarded with tons of free shirts, free food, free movie-showings, and free UVA merch just for being a student! So don’t buy too many UVA shirts at the bookstore, yet!

Making UVA your home

Don’t forget that everyone is just as nervous as you are. Welcome Week is the best start to college. It makes you feel at home. And home is a great place to be.

A crowd of wahoos singing the Good Ol’ Song!

University of Virginia