Study Abroad Series: Oxford

What to do and where to go from everyone who already has

In our new Study Abroad series, UVA students who have studied abroad in the past share their top go-to spots for anyone traveling to the same place.

For this piece, I spoke with a number of people who studied abroad in Oxford and asked what spots are a must for future visitors.

Here were some of the top recommendations.

Purple Turtle

The Purple Turtle is a night club and probably the closest thing you’ll find to Trinity (Good or bad thing, you decide). There are different music themed nights (best one is Monday – 90s night).

Tina studied abroad in Oxford and says, “make sure you try the Hogwarts shot!”

Turl Street Kitchen

A delicious hidden lunch spot. All locally sourced ingredients and the menu changes daily.

Christ Church Meadows

A beautiful open space, great for running with a path that brings you through the woods by a river. Also a beautiful church with the dining room that was featured in the Harry Potter movies!

The Covered Market

“You have to try Ben’s cookie mixed with moo moo milkshake!” -Nicole Fogel, UVA Class of 2017

Oxford Colleges

Try to see as many colleges as you can! If you’re studying abroad, most people don’t care if you go visit the other colleges, plus it’s fun to experience what they’re like.

Chiang Mai Kitchen

Oxford has some of the best Thai and Indian food – Chiang Mai Kitchen has amazing food and is also located in an old university hall.

Look out for Part II, focusing on Valencia. 

University of Virginia