A guide to the best vineyards and breweries around Charlottesville

Basically a guide to classy day drinking

It’s that time of year again: the weather is nice, finals are around the corner, and all you can think about is how to appropriately day (and night) drink.

If a frat darty isn’t your thing, we’ve provided a list of some of the best vineyards and breweries around to quench your thirst.

Blenheim Vineyards

While I think one of the cooler traits of this vineyard is that it was founded by Dave Matthews, even if you aren’t a DMB fan you should check it out. The structure itself is gorgeous, with incredible views. A first time tasting is $6 per person, however if you bring your glass back with you, your second, third and fourth (etc.) tastings are free.

They also sell wine growlers. Once you buy one, you can come back and fill them up with table red and white for just the cost of the wine. And who wants a growler of beer when you can have a growler full of 12 percent alcohol? NOT ME.

Bold Rock

Yeah, Bold Rock was my go to drink at Virg, Bilt and Eddy’s (or No. 3 or whatever they’re calling it these days). But the Cidery in Nelson County is worth visiting for the incredible views (no surprise there) and yummy food. They also sell harder to find ciders like pear and their fairly new IPA. They’re now rolling out a Honeydew cider (which I haven’t tasted so don’t ask me).

I also bought a t-shirt here and it’s one of the most comfortable shirts I own.

South Street Brewery

If you don’t feel like driving a few miles into the Blue Ridge Mountains, you can always just head downtown to South Street. Easy to access by the trolley, So. St. is Charlottesville’s longest running brewery and pub. They also have a $2 Tuesday, so if you’re bored with Mellow’s pint night you have some other options.

One time I went on a pretty bad date here, but I do remember the beer that night being really good – so take that for what it’s worth.

Pippin Hill

Supposedly where Jennifer Aniston got married, Pippin Hill is pricier, but also one of the more gorgeous vineyards in the area. All of my wine glasses are from Charlottesville vineyards, but the ones from Pippin Hill are definitely my favorites. They’re just a really nice shape – not sure why I like it so much, but I do.

Also their Red Pump wine is one of my favorites. However, even though the same people who own Pippin Hill own the restaurant Red Pump on the downtown mall, they ironically do not serve Red Pump wine there for some mysterious and frustrating reason. Don’t be fooled like I was.

Blue Mountain

Blue Mountain has probably has one of the worst views of the blue mountains, but this brewery is great because of its restaurant feel. While Bold Rock is great for a snack or light sandwich, Blue Mountain has a full blown menu. Their growlers also make for great rustic-feeling flower vases.

Trump Winery

Despite the fact that this vineyard is owned by Donald Trump’s son (a fact I actually did not know until a few weeks ago) it’s a pretty little winery worth the visit. I went for a friend’s birthday in the rain, and even then it was beautiful.

But it’s still owned by a Trump, so take that as you will.

Great locale for some artsy rain photos

Wild Wolf

Also gorgeous, and very close to Bold Rock, Wild Wolf does have dead animals all over its walls, which I’m not a huge fan of. They are also more of a restaurant than a brewery, however, and they have some of the best fried pickles I’ve ever had in my life.

Jefferson Vineyards

Pro tip: Buy an emoji disposable camera at Urban Outfitters that’s broken for fun pics

Jefferson is on the site of a lot of history that I read through but found only moderately interesting, but Thomas Jefferson himself was somehow involved with the original grapes planted here. I think.

However, you can take a picture of yourself with a bust of Jefferson while drinking wine, so that’s a huge benefit. They also have a really nice Rose that I bought and drank myself on the evening of my graduation.

Happy vineyard hopping, Wahoos.

University of Virginia