Meet UVA’s class of 2020

Welcome to the Cavalier family

On March 25th, acceptances were sent out to a new class of Hoos all over the world. While some of us were stressing over the fate of the Hoos in the NCAA tournament (I still can’t eat an orange without tearing up), admissions was busy making aspiring Wahoos all over jump for joy at the prospect of joining the Cavalier family.

Days on the Lawn are in full swing, and so new UVA students are flocking to grounds

Cav Pup has been particularly welcoming.

There are smiles, there are tears, and there’s some screaming as well. Class of 2020 is already getting on top of the “UVA emoji” game.

We spoke to a few members of the incoming class of 2020 who shared their excitement and enthusiasm in coming to UVA.

Ethan Crockett, Riner, VA

What was your reaction when you heard you were accepted to UVA?

Disbelief! I was truly not expecting to be accepted but it was the largest relief of weight on my shoulders.

Who was the first person you told?

My father, I played a joke on him and told him I got deferred, I even acted sad.

What are you most excited about?

I’m most excited about rooming with my friend Lucas and distancing myself from the small town of Riner.

What are you most nervous about?

The coursework and possibly encountering the inevitable struggle academically.

Is there anything you want to say to your fellow Wahoos?

Follow me on Twitter @AllYouWitnesses, I’d love to chat!

Adriana Allen, Newport News, VA

Excited mixed with a bit of nervousness (I actually checked my email on accident two minutes after I received the notification that decisions were released online.)

Who was the first person you told?

I immediately called my older sister.

What are you most excited about?

I’m most excited about being a Wahoo and simply being at UVA.

What are you most nervous about?

I’m most nervous about being a freshman all over again – although this time it comes with perks (like being called a First-Year).

To the UVA Class of 2020 – I can’t wait for a great 4 years with you all and don’t forget to streak The Lawn!

Olivia Bunting, Edgewater, MD

Tears! I was babysitting at my neighbors, and kept refreshing the feed at least a thousand times right before the decision was released. UVA was my number one choice for school, and I was so nervous that I wouldn’t get in. So when I finally got the acceptance, I screamed a little and then cried happy tears!

Who was the first person you told?

I called my dad and he put me on speakerphone for my family to hear!

What are you most excited about?

I am really anticipating trying out for the UVA Dance Team, they are so amazing.

What are you most nervous about?

Not seeing my close friends every day.

I am so excited to be a Wahoo, and to make amazing memories with you! Thank you for letting me be in your family!

Kiani Hudgens, Orange County, VA

I was excited but shocked at the same time that I had been accepted into such a great school.

Who was the first person you told?

My parents.

What are you most excited about?

Finding new friends that have some of the same interests as I do.

I can’t wait to be united with you all for the first time and to see what it feels like to be a Hoo!

Staci McKean, Newport News, VA

My first reaction was happy relief. I had been so nervous I was shaking the entire time I was checking the decision.

Who was the first person you told?

I told my parents immediately after seeing the word “congratulations” on the computer screen.

What are you most excited about?

I am most excited about signing up for classes and move in day.

What are you most nervous about?

I’m definitely nervous about having to find my way around campus and having to get used to a completely new environment from where I’ve grown up.

To my fellow Wahoos: We made it! I’m so excited to jump headfirst into our college years with you all!

Kourtney Bugg, Richmond, VA

When I found out I got into UVA, I broke down into tears. UVA was my first choice and being accepted just showed me that all my hard work paid off!

Who was the first person you told?

The first person I told was my mom because she is an alumni!

What are you most excited about?

I’m mostly excited about meeting new people! My high school is very small so I’m used to seeing everybody every day.

What are you most nervous about?

I’m most nervous about finding the perfect spot for me at UVA. I just really want to feel comfortable and prepared for my four years.

Hello UVA class of 2020! I love you guys already!!

Katia Rabinowitch, Burke, VA

I was so happy because I have been dreaming about attending UVA my whole life. I am number 12 in my family to go here and I couldn’t be prouder to continue on the family legacy!

Who was the first person you told?

I told my best friend Callie who lives in Texas.

What are you most excited about?

I am excited to meet new people, join new clubs, go to football and basketball games and find my place at UVA.

What are you most nervous about?

Having to navigate through classes, figuring out where to go and being on my own without my family. (And being without my dog)

I’m really excited to meet fellow wahoos and have the best four years of my life with the best people in the country! Go Hoos!!

Maggie Pollard, Waller, TX

Oh my god, I was so excited! I was on a break at work when I checked it, and I had the biggest grin on my face for the rest of the day because I couldn’t wait to get off, so I could go tell my mom and friends in person!

Who was the first person you told?

My mom. She was so happy!

What are you most excited about?

I am most excited about studying aerospace engineering and meeting new people and exploring Charlottesville. I guess pretty much everything to be completely honest.

What are you most nervous about?

I’m most nervous about being so far away from home. I’ve always wanted to go to a university that was out of state, and Virginia’s a perfect match, but I’ve grown up in a small town with the same friends since I was five. It’s definitely going to be weird not seeing them everyday.

I’m not really sure other than, hi!

University of Virginia