Why I don’t discuss politics at school

Even though I have very strong views

I love politics. Lets get that straight right now. I love to learn, study, and participate in them. But one thing I refuse to do is talk about them while on grounds.

When I first came to UVA, I knew exactly what I believed. However, my parents always raised me to be able to argue every side of every argument. I was taught to always respect and to be open minded towards others opinions because that was the only way for me to ensure that my opinions were respectable and well thought out.

Imagine my shock when I moved from my hometown to Charlottesville to find that not only were my opinions in the minority but on many occasions, to this day, they are made fun of.

I wish to convey my struggles and frustrations in a respectable, blunt, and simple way. Please keep in mind that that I do not lump every Wahoo in this assessment as a I do not wish to generalize my fellow Cavaliers.

Let’s continue.

Here are the reasons I do not tell people about my political opinions:

I feel like I’m in the minority

Even if this may not be true, it sure does feel like it. So then, when I do tell people what I think (only upon them asking) I am brought to my second problem.

I am generalized by people who say generalizing is wrong

I am not a stereotype of my beliefs. My beliefs come from me wanting to be the exact opposite. I want to be my own person who thinks for myself so it is very hurtful when place in groups that I don’t belong in and also don’t want to belong in.

I am asked to respect their opinion while mine isn’t

Even though I am expected to respect other’s opinions, and I do, mine are tossed asides as dumb, lacking thought, and ignorant. One, this is insulting. I take pride in my opinions. I think them out and want them to be so thought out that I can argue every single side. Two: this is hypocritical. It’s the exact same as demanding respect from the person who you think inferior and that is not cool.

It’s really not anybody’s business what I do or don’t think

My opinions are just that -mine. And quite frankly they are none of anyone’s business. I refuse to start political conversations or start a conversation that begins with a political statement. However, talking about them is important which is why I will only tell people if asked. I will tell you and I will not sugar coat them. As soon as someone turns disrespectful or dismissive, I will also refrain because I wish for others to be respectful even if they do not agree.

I love UVA and so many of the great things our student body does. We have very outspoken people and very intelligent people. I just do not share the political views of the majority.

Since becoming a Hoo, some of my opinions have changes while some have become more concrete. But, isn’t that what college is all about, finding out who we are as individuals?

I just refuse to talk about them, as I do not want to feel bad for just being me. And nobody should ever feel that way.

University of Virginia national-us