You know you’re from NOVA if…

You can trash talk NOVA all you want, but Northern Virginia is actually the best place ever

When I tell people that I’m from Northern Virginia, I have become accustomed to one of two responses:

“Oh, me too! *Insert where in NOVA said individual is from*”

or

“Ugh”

The latter may have a variation of politeness with a slight nod or smile, but the sentiment fails to  waver.

My name’s Melissa and I’m from Manassas, a cute little town tucked away in the brinks of NoVa. We’re a bit farther down compared to say, Arlington, but Northern Virginia is a really big place. So big, in fact, that it’s basically a third of the state.

And I’m about to tell you why it’s the best place to grow up and dispel all of the NOVA haters once and for all.

You know you’re from Northern Virginia if…

You actively visit Washington D.C.

I am literally twenty six miles away from the same providence where our president lives. That big pointy pencil? Yeah, I’ve seen that like twenty times. Not to mention, there are people in NOVA that can literally walk right into Washington.

Oh, and we have an art exhibition that’s basically a adult ball pit. It’s called ‘The Beach’ and features a six foot deep ball range. A classic destination for many during the Summer of 2015.

Rite of passage

Your high school self (and current self) is in love with Ryan McElveen

If you attended high school in Northern Virginia, chances are that you experienced the plethora of snow days. Snow week, even? Much of this thanks is attributed to the actions of Ryan McElveen.

Oh, Ryan McElveen, my sweet everything. The only way to coin Ryan McElveen for those who are unfortunate and don’t know of him is to envision Oprah. The thing is, instead of giving away dream vacations or televisions,  McElveen gives away snow days.

(He’s actually just a really cool school board member from Fairfax County who tweeted about the snow days.)

He also went to UVA!

You’ve visited Silver Diner

Yeah, we may not have Sonic. I know, it’s a bummer. But, there’s a fair chance that we might have something better: Silver Diner.

God bless Silver Diner. That milkshake will bring anyone to the yard.

You’ve visited Great Falls at least once

Yeah, NOVA is uber metropolitan with Reston Town Center and the countless towers that pepper Arlington, but the wild life scene’s got some sex appeal.

Great Falls? Mamma Mia.

You’ve dealt with or encountered someone in Politics

Being so close to the nation’s capital makes NOVA an uber political place to live. Your friend’s dad is in Congress? Casual. You know an Ambassador? No biggie. First time phone banking? Late to the party.

Not to mention, NOVA basically determines how the entire state of Virginia will vote in, well, any election really.

You’ve visited Tyson’s/Potomac Mills/Fair Oaks

Northern Virginia has the best malls out of Virginia. No questions asekd. Virginia’s Largest Outlet? Check. (Potomac Mills!) And Tyson’s Corner?  Essentially a shop-a-holics wet dream. Three stories of food, fashion, and frenzy.

…but some weird things do tend to happen.

You use the Metro

Do you really know how to use the metro map?

No.

Do you pretend to know anyways?

Yeah.

Still a mystery¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

All jokes aside, if you’re keen on avoiding the traffic navigating the metro is key. Traffic along with outrageous humidity are arguably the only two bad things about NOVA.

Pro tip: There’s always something to see on the metro.

You’ve been to a Civil War town

Some people may swindle you into thinking that NOVA’s just a bunch of preppy kids and their suburban moms, but it’s so much more than that.

Manassas hosts a reenactment of major Civil War battles right in its historic old town. It’s crazy to think that soldiers fought on the same turf where I grumbled when entering my high school parking lot.

You’re a frequent customer at Chipotle

This is all that you will eat, but beware: the farther south you journey, the more likely that Qdoba will proliferate.

Chipot(bae)

You engage in the historic rivalry between the Hokies and the Wahoos

If you’re from NOVA, you must pick a side. Obviously if you’re reading this off of The Tab UVA, I hope you’ve streaked the lawn and pledged your allegiance.

Wahoowa

University of Virginia #virginia northern virginia nova rivalry university of virginia uva