How to deal with Valentine’s Day when you’re just ‘talking’

Do you even acknowledge it?

Aw yay, it’s that time of year again! A time of love and flowers and candy and cute sentiments. Giant teddy bears and kissing in the rain. The time for engagements and anniversaries and cards to send to crushes.

Or in the college world it’s the time for awkwardness. Extreme awkwardness. We all know that stage where you’re not dating but you’re “talking.” He texts you more than the 12am “u out?” or the 2am “what’s up?”

It’s kind of a thing (but not really), and it’s definitely not official, but he was over the past 4 weekends in a row. It’s that great in between confusing stage.

It’s all fun and good until you realize Valentine’s Day is coming up and you have no idea how to address it with your thing/hookup/non relationship.

Do you recognize the day as a thing? Or pretend it’s not happening and casually avoid talking to this person for a day and then resume the 15th? Do you hookup with them Saturday night? Or should you not because it might get weird in the morning when you realize it’s Valentine’s Day and your roommate is loudly announcing she’s off to Valentine’s brunch with her boyfriend in the morning and you avoid eye contact and act like you didn’t hear it so it doesn’t come up?

Okay, so maybe no to Saturday night. But should you like get them something? Like a Valentine’s card like the ones you gave out in third grade?

No, definitely not that’s weird. So get them nothing and pretend its not happening?

Oh god, but what if they get you something and then are offended when you don’t get them anything because you were planning on ignoring the holiday in general?

Should you maybe, like, send them a text? “Happy Valentines Day! <3” Is that weird though? Will he think that you think that you’re dating? Maybe no heart. Hm, maybe hit them with the “hvd.” Is that a thing?? Can it be?

Okay it’s settled – just ignoring the day in general and hoping they do to. Otherwise, let the awkwardness ensue.

University of Virginia