The most productive ways to procrastinate

Taking a break from studying doesn’t have to be a waste of time

The end is so close: classes are now over and exams are consuming our lives until we finally get to check out for the Hoolidays. We don’t have to be completely overwhelmed, though, if we step away from studying for a little by still being productive with our time.

Our brains can’t function 24 hours in a day (although Clem knows we’ve tried), so when we take those inevitable breaks and procrastinate the return to our lit or chem notes, we can do something healthy to not be complete zombies by the time we get home.

Get some fresh air

Sunshine’s panting sounds like Brainy from Hey Arnold

Especially when you are getting extra sleepy, get up and go outside. Walking around in the cool air will do wonders for your mental state and chances are the Charlottesville sky will be beautiful.

You can turn that walk into a run, too, if you don’t mind all the mouth-breathing. If you’re in the library I know you’re dressed in exercise clothes anyways.

Contact a friend you haven’t seen in a while

All the new friends I’ve made in college

I don’t think anyone doesn’t like getting an unexpected friendly text. Say hi to the friend you haven’t seen since you had a class together last semester. Simply wishing luck to each other on finals will be a source of validation and brighten both of your days.

Make a list of what you’re getting people for Christmas

Don’t wait until the last minute to get in the holiday spirit and determine any gifts you plan on giving. There’s nothing productive about that kind of procrastination. Gathering your thoughts now will give you more time to be personal and creative.

Clean up or declutter your space

Is it bad to still have Halloween decorations out?

It’s late in the semester and I would bet there’s some sort of chore you’ve been neglecting in favor of focusing on studies. Say goodbye to coffee mugs all over your desk (guilty), trash in your backpack, or old emails in your inbox.

Learn about something new

What’s something that you’ve always had an interest in but honestly don’t know that much about? Maybe it’s a random thought about how tacos got Americanized, or what causes thunder?

Or if you are really struggling while studying and you look around the room to see a DVD of Edward Scissorhands and think, “Johnny Depp’s a weird dude, what’s his story?” Wikipedia is our friend for this kind of research.

Try a new food or restaurant

The day I tried Lemongrass Thai food forever changed my life

In precise mathematical terms, Charlottesville has a floppity-gillion good restaurants. Many of which are within walking distance. Even if it’s take-out to eat while still studying, 0/10 times will you regret it.

Read a book for fun and drink a hot beverage

Every English major’s favorite activity

Reading doesn’t have to only be a requirement for school that you dread. Look up what’s currently popular or get a recommendation from a friend (Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita or anything by Jennifer Egan). Coffee, tea, and hot cocoa contain a certain level of happiness that only puppies and double rainbows rival.

FINALLY do your laundry

All of your dirty clothes from this semester are not an appropriate present for someone back home. Plus, switching clothes from the washer to dryer, in addition to the innumerable calls to mom (What is “permanent press” and can light grey go in with whites?) guarantee future study breaks.

Stretch

I think Rocky pulled something

Just like getting up to take a walk, getting up to stretch is great when you are struggling to keep your eyes open. From rolling your neck and shoulders to more advanced yoga poses (my personal favorite is pigeon), you will get a boost of energy.

Take a power-nap

My chocolate Teddy Graham friends never do this

When walking around or stretching doesn’t yield enough energy, go ahead and take a 15 minute nap. Setting a timer on your phone and putting your head down gives you a chance to refuel, no matter where you are.

Go to the study breaks offered by organizations

Alumni Hall, clubs, and residence areas are always sending you emails about their study breaks, right? Go. Eat a snack. Grab a Blue Book. Make a friend. Cry with new friend about how unprepared you feel for you exams.

Gather your things for tomorrow

You can’t forget a pop of color!

In the morning, when you are tired and probably running a little late, the last thing you want to be doing is finding your pens and picking out an outfit. Pull these things together the night before so that if you hit snooze one too many times, you’ll be okay.

Call a relative to let them know you’re alive

His little “hello” beats Adele’s every time

Chatting with one of the people who gave you life or at least a birthday card is another mutually beneficial activity. And you know the conversation can’t get too intense because “I have to get back to studying” is the most legitimate (and actually true in this case) excuse out there.

These examples are simple ways to keep your sanity this finals season. Remember that moderation is key in everything. If you are going to binge on anything, though, it should be catching up on The Tab’s stories.

University of Virginia