Homecoming Bingo: How to know if you have successfully YARed

Are you ever too old to try and steal baked goods from Little Johns?

We’ve barely been gone five months, but boy does it seem like a long time.

Returning to grounds is both wonderful and a little weird. But of course we have to live it up the most we can in the 48 hours during which we return.

If you achieve all of the things below, you have won YAR and can go home a successful alum.

If not, I guess you’ll have to come back next year.

See someone passed out in the student section

The first time I saw someone passed out at a football game was my first ever football game. He lay sprawled on the hill, surrounded by his faithful (if not equally sloshed) friends.

The last time I saw someone passed out at a football game? It was my sorority’s parent’s weekend and my mom was there. The napping Wahoo in question had pissed himself, which I thought a nice touch.

Despite the fact that I bought a ticket for the stands, I’ll be migrating over to the hill, and my drunken Hoos better not disappoint.

Hear squealing from reunited sorority girls

The distinctive squealing of girls who have gone through rush together is one of shared foot pain (due to heels), tedious crafting, and endless small talk.

Bonus if they take a gang sign pic, and do the skinny arm.

Witness someone steal a baked good from Little Johns

A tradition formed by drunken, misbehaving Wahoos, the Little Johns employees have witnessed more than their fair share of drunken debauchery.

Even though they’ll have their eyes out for these sweet tooth robbers, I’m sure there is an alum or two who thinks they can get away with it now that they’re older and wiser.

Hint: they can’t.

There’s a line to get into Biltmore

When Virg was like being in a packed Subway car, you’re too old for Trinity, and No. 3 still existed where else to go but Bilt?

One of the horrors of having hundreds of your closest friends back is that an awful phenomenon appears, known as the line for Biltmore (and subsequently, a line for Crozet shortly after).

All I can say is if you manage to avoid the line, or not lose your buzz while in it, you have successfully won at YAR.

Go to Bodo’s. Three times in one day.

Selfies with bae

The last time I was down at UVA, after being away for a few months, I ate four bagels in two days.

I have no shame.

In fact, I’m proud.

Reminisce about things that happened less than a year ago

“Oh my god remember when we have brunch at Virg to celebrate Whitney’s birthday and watch the basketball game?! That was so fun!”

Yes, because that happened not even six months ago.

Be angry about ‘The Fence’

Remember when life was so easy and you could cross from 15th straight to University in mere seconds?

Thanks to safety, now you have to take an extra three minutes to walk all the way down 14th street and inevitably run into someone on the corner of 14th and University.

You don’t even live on grounds anymore (and you probably aren’t even staying over on 15th) but make sure to be angry, outraged, and furious!

Streak the lawn again

Now that you are no longer a student, what’s the harm in being butt naked in the middle of grounds.

Too bad this year we can’t properly streak the lawn with construction – but what a great chance to lord something over the first years about how much better we are!

You wear a Lily Pulitzer dress you have absolutely no other occasion for

Even those of you who stayed in Virginia probably have very little occasion to wear Lily. In the office, when everyone else is wearing slacks and a blazer, the neon pink flamingos across your ass probably aren’t the most appropriate.

But it was absolutely necessary to pick up the shift dress with monkeys and vines for last year’s Foxfield – it was my last one after all.

Shoutout to every girl that wears all black in every single Facebook pic, but is wearing Lily just because it cost around $200 and there isn’t anywhere else to do so.

Bonus points to anyone who the guys at the White Spot remember on sight.

University of Virginia #charlottesville #virginia homecoming reunion university of virginia uva YAR young alumni reunion