RAs and bus drivers tell us what you’re really like when you’re hammered

’90 percent of the time, if any of my residents come home crying, it’s about a boy’

Many ‘Hoos spend their weekends going out—whether it be to frats, bars, houses, or apartments—and most all would say they have a great time.

But  most party-goers don’t realize is while they may be sloshed, there are sober people around them, witnessing the drunken frivolity.

Is that bus driver cursing you and your friends for chanting the whole ride home, or is he simply chuckling to himself and enjoying the show?

Are your RAs fed up with the 3am ruckus in the hallway – whether it be tears over that boy you saw make out with that other girl in that frat or the joyful exclamation at the sight of Crossroads chicken tenders?

Do the workers at Little Johns mind when you spill crumbs all over the floor while devouring a baked good you haven’t even paid for yet?

We took a look at some of the funny stories that students and RAs have to share about their late night adventures.

Resident advisor Shota of the fifth floor of Kellogg recalls one of his residents coming back to the dorm after the Notre Dame football game and saying, “I’m going to go curl up in the fetal position right now.”

Shoto Ono (who also happens to be a leader of SVATT- sweater vests as tank tops)

Tyler, an RA from the second floor of Tuttle-Dunnington, recalls finding one of his residents in a similar state after that game, sitting in the hallway wearing nothing but boxers and clasping a large milk jug filled with water.

Shota says: “It’s funny because as a third year, you kind of get used to UVA not winning a winnable football game.”

These kinds of games tend to get the best of most UVA students.

Another student laughs as he remembers the time he drunkenly fell asleep on the counter at Crossroads right in front of the cashier. Perhaps the best part was that the cashier remembered him the next day – needless to say he won’t be going back to Crossroads anytime soon.

He added: “That’s not as bad as the time we fit, like, 20 of our friends on the bus one night, and chanted the entire ride there. I think the other passengers wanted to kill us. The driver probably did too.”

Another first-year resident shared stories of a night when most of her friends were staying in.

“We were all sitting in the common room watching How to Get Away With Murder, when all of a sudden [this kid] from our building wandered by in his boxers, carrying only one slice of pizza. Five minutes later, he wandered back looking just as confused. We still aren’t quite sure where he went.”

Annie, an RA from Tuttle-Dunnington has “gotten used to the sight of people sleeping in the common room. I tend not to ask questions anymore – unless I get woken up by the sound of tears. But that’s usually just about boy problems.”

Some Tuttle-Dunnington residents catching a few Zs in the common room

Maya, the RA from the other side of this hall agrees: “90% of the time, if any of my residents come home crying, it’s about a boy.”

Annie also remembers overhearing a boy walk into the dorm with one of her residents, “on one of those nights where it was pouring rain. He was like, ‘I’m freezing and soaking wet, you need to give me a shot right now.’ I whipped around, and I was like, ‘What did you just say?’ The girl was mortified. It was so funny though.”

Annie Goodstein

At the end of the day, RAs, bus drivers, and food cashiers certainly have front-row seats when it comes to the strange drunken tendencies of UVA students.

Although they may be loud and annoying, they are nonetheless entertaining.

University of Virginia #virginia dorms first year frat parties late night national-us sober perspectives tuttle-dunnington university of virginia uva