I live in the same building as the Sigma Chi shooter

He had a handgun and an AK-40

On Saturday night a UT Austin student managed to sneak a gun into a Sigma Chi fraternity party, and fired shots that same night.

The student is reported to be a “rushee” who did not make it into the fraternity. Luckily only one person was injured. The student was arrested by the SWAT team at his apartment complex the next day.

He had two guns, a handgun and an AK-40. Imagine if he was angry at his roommates, neighbors, another student organization. He’s capable of making people feel unsafe, which is not how a college campus should feel.

We interview Christina Mihova, a UT sophomore who lives in the same apartment complex:

Have you ever been to any Sigma Chi parties before? Did you ever feel unsafe?

Yes, I’ve been to one which at the beginning of the year. And no I felt pretty safe there were security guards everywhere.

How does it make you feel that you live in the same apartment as someone who is responsible for the shooting at this party?

I feel uncomfortable and more aware as I walk throughout my building.

Does this change your perception of the Campus Carry Laws in any way?

My opinion stays the same, I’m against Campus Carry. I think this goes to show that although there are restrictions against those who own a gun, age, background check, etc, people can get their hands on guns.

The suspect was only 18 and had a AK47 and a handgun. It also goes to show that guns mixed with drinking and anger leads to more casualties rather than using guns as a defense.

Would you feel safe going to a Sigma Chi party any time soon?

Personally I would wait, but in all honestly this could happen to any other fraternity or student organization. There would be no difference if I went to a Sigma Chi party this weekend and to another fraternity party this weekend.

People feared that guns on UT campus would be dangerous, but having guns off-campus where students live is even more dangerous. We should feel secure, but this is being challenged by careless people, like Daniel Magee, who make careless decisions.

Although those people are arrested for carelessly using guns, the fear and distress associated with improper gun usage has more of a long-term effect on people.

Campus Carry Law continues to make others feel unsafe and has made students and faculty second-guess their safety in a learning environment. Measures need to be taken, so: Texas get your shit together.

UT Austin