We asked UT students how the gun laws make them feel

“I’m afraid that there might be an incident this year that will force these laws to be reverted.”

UT has been taken over by a heated debate about the role of guns on campus. Most of the pro-gun rhetoric is based off of the idea that it serves as some sort of protection. But that’s not always the case.

People carrying guns have a way of making others feel unsafe, no matter the harm.

For example, in 2010 at the University of Texas at Austin library, a student committed suicide in front of other students.

Although no one else was physically harmed, the emotional damage was just as harmful. We asked UT students how the new campus carry laws impacted their beliefs on gun control, and this is what they said:

John Fuentes, Senior, Geography

John Fuentes

Do you feel as if you’ve ever needed to carry a gun on campus?

No, I’ve never felt as if I personally needed to carry a gun on campus. We’ve gone so long without Campus Carry, and there hasn’t been any major problems–maybe one or two problems, but nothing really. The problems that did arise could’ve been solved with mental help rather than guns.

How has the Campus Carry gun law made you feel?

I am opposed to the gun laws, but I know that it’s going to take a lot of time to revert the impact these laws carry. I’m afraid that there might be an incident this year that will force these laws to be reverted. It’s scary to know that an incident could arise where students are harmed, and only then will these laws will be modified.

Hassaan Raza, Sophomore, Computer Science/Pre-Med

Do you feel as if you’ve ever needed to carry a gun on campus? Why or why not? 

No because college is where you come to learn, so I’ve never felt as if I needed to defend myself through the use of a gun. Sometimes there are students that are more aggressive than others, and you don’t know what will set them off which can be scary to witness in the event that something does go wrong.

Ariya Haq, Sophomore, Biology/Pre-PA

No because you come to school to learn, and that’s generally a safe environment. Even after Campus Carry was implemented, I feel safe because there are other means of protection.

Harsha Kethireddipalli, Sophomore, BHP/Plan-II Honors/Finance

I mean I feel safe enough because there’s cops patrolling the campus, so no I don’t feel as if I personally need a gun.

Have you ever thought of carrying a gun, as a way to protect yourself in the event that something does happen?

If I carried a gun, then others around me would feel threatened. I’m totally against Campus Carry in general, so if I carried a gun then I’d be supporting it. Honestly, I think it’s pretty stupid. When has fighting fire with fire ever been a solution? Yeah, it’s pretty stupid.

Peyton Taylor, Sophomore, Accounting

I don’t feel as if I’ve personally needed to carry a gun on campus to feel safe. I grew up in a military community where people actually don’t carry guns, even though everyone has this impression that there are guns everywhere.

I’ve always felt safe on campus, but now the thought that someone could be carrying a weapon in class is a bit scary. However, it’s comforting to know that if you see a gun, you can call 911 because it’s supposed to be concealed, but I don’t necessarily feel safe around them.

Pooja Tanna, Junior, Neuroscience/Pre-Med

On campus, I don’t think I can ever think of a time where I felt like I needed to carry a gun. It’s simply because I assume that college campuses are supposed to be safe. While in the news that’s been proven to be untrue, I feel like I trust the communities I’m around at UT. I don’t think the solution to our fear is having a weapon but rather having a change in policy (mental health/gun laws) and mindset. I think these problems can be fixed if we pay more attention to what we’ve ignored for so long.

Prem Patel, Sophomore, Biology

I haven’t ever felt the need to carry a gun on campus, because I generally felt safe in the school environment. However, because of campus carry I am a bit more vigilant in how I feel about whether guns should be allowed. I think that the new law does introduce a bit of potential vulnerability with misusing firearms in a college environment, and but I don’t feel as strongly, personally, enough to carry my own weapon in retaliation.

UT Austin