Great university, crappy financial aid: The Princeton Review paints a funny picture of UT

Generally it thinks we’re pretty awesome

The Princeton 2017 College Review proves what Longhorns already knew to be true: UT is a top notch university.

Ranking on the  Top 381 Universities as well as on the Colleges That Pay You Back, UT proves its slogan that what starts here changes the world.

Unfortunately, the Review also proves something else that Longhorns know: UT is stingy with student aid. Ranking 7th on the Financial Aid Not So Great list, UT falls shortly behind NYU and only slightly ahead of the University of New Hampshire.  It’s also the only college in Texas to rank in the Top 20 and one of the few schools in the South.

Stats show that the Average Undergraduate Total Need-Based Gift Aid is only 9048 dollars. For an average in-state tuition of 10144 dollars (not factoring in living expenses and the cost of textbooks) it’s no wonder that an average of 50% of UT undergraduates have borrowed money through loans.

Out of state students pay even more for their education: an average of $34,836 for tuition plus another $11,456 for room and board. Then don’t forget to add on the cost of textbooks which can average out to $750.

We’re apparently also the epitome of a college brochure, with one student saying:

“[Undergraduates] are often found throwing a Frisbee outside the tower or taking a nap under a tree.

“It’s truly what you see in one of those cheesy brochures with everyone studying and smiling. Of course, the smiles aren’t so bright during finals. We switch to an over-caffeinated, glazed-eye look instead.”

UT life is “very relaxed…Students usually wear shorts and a t-shirt to class. When the weather gets cold, you might find students wearing the same shorts and t-shirt with a sweatshirt.

“Students and faculty frequently picnic all over campus. There are plenty of outdoor tables and grassy areas to sit.”

UT Austin