‘Cocks not Glocks’: Books, pens, and fake cocks, just the first day of class essentials

Protesters fought the Concealed Campus Carry laws with dildos

In an effort to “fight absurdity with absurdity” UT students clipped dildos onto their backpacks to protest against Open Carry.

Following the passing of Concealed Campus Carry last year, a policy which allows students and professors to carry concealed handguns into the classroom, UT students, alumni, and faculty protested the unfair ruling by pointing out a huge discrepancy in the law: bringing dildos into the classroom.

In the center of the protest were anti-gun student organizations handing out sex toys and encouraging students passing by to vote to repeal the law.

The movement highlighted the fact that Texas law currently prohibits people from carrying sex toys in public but now allows weapons on campus.

Speaking to Mic, Lopez, vice-president of Students Against Campus Carry, said:

“Two guns don’t make a right, do you expect a bunch of frat boys to defend us against an armed gunman?

“Truly, I really do not want to point fingers at the university, because they’re trying so hard to fight this, but the language of emails the university sent to the student body was so ambiguous, students still think it’s open carry.

“We are not equipped enough to enact this law in a safe way where everyone knows what they’re getting into. There is that overarching feeling of fear, no matter what people know about the law.

“Everyone is so fearful, and they really don’t know what to do.”

One student protester, Rachel Johnson, led a chant for “Cocks not Glocks” through the crowd. She says she’s against the policy because:

“Students should be able to focus on studies without wondering if their classmates could murder them

“It’s really scary to think that the person next to you could have a gun. Also the law was passed when we were all out for spring break which I don’t agree with.”

The protest was accompanied by speakers ranging from Gina Hinojosa, the current Democratic candidate for State Representative to Nicole Golden, a member of the Texas Chapter for Moms Demand and even a number of professors.

One of these professors, Prof. Friesen, said we must see to it that Texas does not become “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth and a Glock 43 for your backpack”.

UT Austin