We made friends with refugees who just moved to the States

They come from Yemen, Burma, and Nepal

The overwhelming stress of college life is enough to waste all five weeks of winter break on Netflix and chilling at home.

With everything going on, it was hard to unwind. So instead of experiencing Project X, I spent my winter break working in a clinic for refugees.

Helping out at a non-profit called DFW Refugee Relief, I met refugees who had left Burma, Nepal, and Yemen to relocate to Dallas.

Here, I got the chance to make friends with them – this is their story.

PC: @pk_photos

Friends typically have a lot in common. I am by no definition a refugee. I was born in the golden state of California and I now call Austin, Texas my home. I may be from here and I may go to school here, but we were all once immigrants in America. While my family is settled and has been here for many years, our family tree is rooted in Pakistan. Moving to America was a day and night difference that required lots of time and hard work to comfortably call the States home. These refugee families help me imagine the trials of my parents.

They also want a shot at something greater: to adapt and raise their families and generations to come — in one of the best nations in the world. It will only require lots of time and hard work to allow them to fully assimilate and contribute to the colorful mosaic of our country. This very tolerance and acceptance of a cultural blend and mix of heritage that our nation was founded on is what really makes our country such a beautiful place— often a “foreign” idea in many foreign nations.

Our founding fathers all escaped some sort of persecution, whether religious, social, or political. The Burmese Muslims are escaping religious persecution. The Nepalese are escaping social oppression. Should they be treated any differently?

To really compare whether or not there are even any differences, I decided to get in one on one with a few of my friends. Take a look.

PC: @pk_Photos

First is Solomon, a 15-year-old immigrant from Malaysia. Currently attending a high school part of Dallas ISD.

What’s your name and where are you from?  

I am from Malaysia and my name is Solomon.

How old are you?

I am 15.

Did you come to the US as a refugee?

Yes, with my family.

PC: @pk_photos

Could you describe your everyday life to me?

Life is hard and easy at the same time. Because in Malaysia we have more fun, we get to drive motorcycle and stuff like that: in here it’s kind of hard, we can’t go out. In Malaysia I can eat whatever I want because uh..I..I am a Muslim so I have to eat zabiha…kind of like kosher.

Was it hard adjusting here in the United States?

Uh, nah. I feel like it was easy, you know? Like it was just like growing up. I changed schools many times so this was just another change.

A glimpse into the living conditions | PC: @pk_photos

Do you think life is easier for you here?

Yeah, because of education. I think it will be easy in here.

How old were you when you came here?

10 years.

Could you describe being here for five years?

It’s like – I feel like I come here couple years ago, maybe two three years ago. The time goes so fast in here.

Do you feel like the other kids are different than you?

Uh no, not…not at all. After I come for a while, I am here for a while.

If you could tell people about one memorable experience about back home or here, what would it be?

The first day of school here…HA. It was like those movies, you know?

What was the first day of school like for you?

So weird, everybody speaking different language. I was scared and I panic – I don’t know what to say. I was thinking they say something bad about me.

Did you feel like everyone was different from you or were there a lot of people like you?

I was only Malaysian there, everybody Spanish and all the other Nepal, and stuff like that. I am the only one.

PC: @pk_photos

Are there other refugees with you or no?

Uh yes. I take ESL class, that class has many refugees.

So considering the language and culture change do you think you adapted well?

Yeah, I still have accents, it’s kind of hard…but yeah.

Overall do you like living here better than living in Malaysia?

Yeah, I love to be here. I am happy here like my family.

PC: @pk_photos

Next is Abdul, a 13-year-old Yemeni immigrant. Currently attending a middle school part of Dallas ISD.

My name is Abdul and I am from Yemen.

Did you and your family come here as refugees?

Yes sir.

How was life when you came here, was it better than before?

It’s better, it’s good here and education. And you have more friends than usual.

What school do you go to?

I go to Sam Tasby Middle School.

How was school different when you came here, or did you adjust just fine?

I never been to school back where I was from, but school is better here, you get more education.

Do you like all your friends, classmates, and teachers?

Yeah. I think me and my friends get along good. I like all my teachers and friends.

Do you have a lot of friends here?

Yes! I am kind of surprised.

What do you do in your free time?

I play on my Xbox.

PC: @pk_photos

So you enjoy video games, but do you like playing sports too?

I like playing basketball or football at the park with my friends. I don’t know if this is a sport but I like playing tag sometimes too.

Do you think the school is harder here?

No…I think it’s easier here now…maybe because I am smarter!

Was it hard for you guys when you came here, or no since you were probably young?

Yeah..uh, I didn’t really know anything, but I learn English really fast.

Do you have any ideas on what you want to be when you grow up?

No not yet, but maybe like a doctor or a scientist seems cool.

You have a younger brother right? Do you guys go to the same school?

No, he is in elementary school.

PC: @pk_photos

Do you guys spend a lot of your time with each other?

Yeah, playing video games.

Do you have any funny stories to tell me?

No *does a shy look away*…

Come on, I know you have at least one – tell me, I want to know!

Uh OK so my brother…OK, one time I went to my friend’s house and he jumped in the pool and tried to show everybody he could swim, but he drowned.

He drowned?! Did he have to get rescued?

Yes… well no, he didn’t drown, but I have to rescue him.

Was it his first time in a swimming pool?

No, he just never knew it was that deep.

So now tell me, overall, do you and your family like living in America?

Yes, I love it here and I guess my family does too because my parents never talk about life before Dallas.

Photography by instagram.com/pk_photos

UT Austin national-us