Inside look at Day N Night 2017 – the music festival for A-list rappers

Birthday cakes were thrown into the audience and 21 is still savage

It’s amazing what can happen over the course of a year. What used to be seen as somewhat of a nightmare — an understaffed, cell reception-less festival on Oak Canyon Park, with concert goers stuck in the parking lot until 4:00 am — Day N Night has completely transformed to become one of the most impressive and coveted tickets of the fall festival season.

Post Malone backstage at Day N Night 2017

This year’s Day N Night, located in Anaheim on the grounds surrounding the Angels Stadium, treated attendees to an organized, well-structured, and meticulously curated weekend featuring the top rap artists.

Everyone you’d want to see was included on this year’s A-list roster. Travis Scott, Chance the Rapper, and Kendrick Lamar headlined, and were supported by energy-filled artists such as Lil Uzi Vert, Playboi Carti, and Post Malone. SoundCloud favorites like Smokepurpp, Ugly God, and Lil Pump had the crowd moshing and singing along, and newcomers Daniel Caesar and 24hrs put on stunning performances.

Smokepurpp

Smokepurpp

Vendors including Swisher Sweets, Corona Extra, and HUF surrounded the main stage area in unique activations and tents. A Jack Daniel’s lounge provided shade for those 21+ who wanted relief from the sun. Popular food trucks fed the hungry crowd, with offerings ranging from Belly Bombz’s Korean sliders to Afters Ice Cream’s milk and cereal flavored ice cream.

24hrs and MadeinTYO

24hrs and MadeinTYO

Day N Night accomplished the goal that every boutique festival strives to achieve: to provide the energy, lineup, and atmosphere of a large-scale festival while still feeling tailored toward locals. It was an event we’ll still be talking about months from now. We couldn’t be happier to witness the complete 180 from last year, and can’t wait to see what The Observatory has in store for the future.

Birthday cakes were thrown into the audience during Smokepurpp's set

21 Savage

21 Savage

all photos taken by Ellen Labbé

University of Southern California day n night festival music rap