USC Hyperloop participated in Elon Musk’s transportation competition

Their ‘spaceship on wheels’ reached 120 mph

Looks like hopes of Elon Musk's vision for a futuristic transportation system becoming a reality is no longer a long shot.

Especially after a Hyperloop competition, which a vehicle broke record speed over a mile-long test track, cementing Musk’s expectation of this much-revealed futuristic transportation system.

Hyperloop competition? Well … it's a first of its kind competition encouraging innovation in transportation by challenging teams to design and build the best high-speed pod. A pod is basically capsule-type vehicles used for transportation inside a vacuum tube system.

Didn't quite get it? Fine. Lets keep it this way, it’s a Elon Musk thing! At least that's how folks I know remember.

Now don't say you haven't heard that name.

Elon Musk addressing teams at the competition

USC Hyperloop has worked tirelessly on their pod for the past two years.

The team is a mix of students from different backgrounds passionately working on a common goal of innovating a new mode of transportation system with highly achieved efficiency.

“We could probably go 120 mph with our current pod safely with minor modifications," says Daniel Guevara, Chief Engineer at USC Hyperloop. "The goal is to reach the Top Speed for next competition, which is around 319 mph."

After all, "it's a Spaceship on Wheels," said Guevara.

The Hyperloop competition reflected a high voltage environment created by 24 teams competing from all over the world. The initial selection process started with 120 teams, including USC.

The Warr team, from the Technical University of Munich, snatched the top spot for the second time in a row after competition one with a record speed of 201 mph.

Warr team loading their pod for run

Warr team loading their pod for run

Thats right, 201 mph.

Let's hope the best for the team while you mark your calendar for the next year's competition.

FTFO!

University of Southern California