Angelica Garcia absolutely smashes it at the Troubadour

The singer songwriter bashes Trump and captivates the crowd

Angelica Garcia’s performance at the Troubadour on Thursday, January 26 was one to remember. The singer took the stage with understated poise, as she sang from her soul to an awestruck crowd. Hearing Angelica’s voice, you would think if was her studio produced record playing, because her voice rang so clearly through the venue. Her powerhouse pipes paired with her skillful band creating an intoxicating environment for all present.

In between songs Angelica spoke to the crowd with dry humor. She introduced her song “Devil Can Get In” with an allusion to Trump that gave the crowd a good chuckle, something along the lines of everyone turning orange.

Angelica, a Los Angeles native, seemed comfortable on the stage knowing that she had family and friends in the audience. She went as far as dedicating a song, “Señora Garcia”, to her grandpa in the crowd. The song itself was upbeat and fun, perfect for getting her loved ones as well as everyone else in the crowd moving to the music.

Garcia also performed a song that was not on her album, and this song stood out especially in the current political climate. The song focused on the Dakota Access Pipeline and the abuse of power by some in the country, with references to colonialism. The chorus included the line, “not a big man’s money/nor his leaking pocketbook/should build a pipeline for new blood.” The power behind these words clearly communicates her emotions and the incredibly important message in a creative way. As a singer songwriter, Angelica seems to understand the power words have, and the influence that music can have in politics and on people.

The night ended on a positive and humorous note with Angelica closing with her song “Orange Flower.” To introduce the song she joked that, “This song is for anyone who’s ever been on a crappy date. I know I’ve been on at least ten.” Once again, her use of humor helped connect her to the audience and enhance the reception of her music.

Garcia got the crowd moving with her upbeat songs and in a trance during her more powerful, slow songs. The environment was charged with the positive energy she created through music. With her powerful messages and killer vocals, it is only a matter of time before Angelica Garcia blows up.

University of Southern California