USC faculty rail against the Trump Administration at the Rally for Inclusion and Tolerance

‘When we ask for inclusion we ask for compassion…I now ask you to do that for the other side. There is no other side.’

On Wednesday, a group of USC faculty organized the Rally for Inclusion and Tolerance at E.F. Hutton Park on campus. Focused on the incoming Trump administration, the professors aimed to support both students and teachers alike who may be feeling vulnerable in light of America’s political state.

Unique to campus protests in recent months, it was not students coming forward to express their emotions on the subject like it usually is on the campus, but members of the faculty from a variety of departments. Often times in professional settings, faculty do not express their full opinions concerning politics. Therefore, letting such a space to occur lead to the faculty being creative in their presentation. Some staff chose to give planned speeches, others spoke from the heart, while some read passages from books and poems. Overall, the rally was unique and seemed to cohesively communicate the message of support for all.

William Vela, Director, El Centro Chicano

“Always Fight On for justice.”

One staff member who spoke was El Centro Chicano Director William Vela. He emphasized the importance of faculty showing support toward students during such a difficult time and stressed the need for everyone to join the movement. He himself expressed his lack of knowledge of what is to come of this unprecedented situation, but frowned upon complacency of the masses.

Sarah Banet-Weiser, Professor of Communication and Director School of Communication

Professor Banet-Weiser also discussed the issue of complacency in the context of “the common.” Now is not the time to go along with what is common and normal, Banet-Weiser noted, but instead to speak out for what is right even if it is uncommon. She stated that it is not the time to normalize misogyny, xenophobia, racism and prejudice, but instead to combat it.

John Carlos Rowe an English Professor discussed the need for debate, but not in a space of hostility. He agreed that USC should be a safe space, but that we should “stick with the idea of the University being a safe space, not only for the body but the mind.”

Annette M. Kim,Associate Professor Director of Spatial Analysis Lab (SLAB) at the Sol Price School of Public Policy picked an interesting way to communicate her message by reading Martin Luther King Jr. quotes line by line and having the audience echo. It gave even more power to the profound quotes.

Kate Flint, Professor, English

Professor Flint discussed the facets of privilege, using herself as a case study. She herself is an immigrant, not a citizen, but due to her characteristics she has a certain privilege. She acknowledged the privilege of her skin color, her position at the university, her ability to write and her ability to speak. Flint also reminded those in the crowd of their own privilege of being able to gather in such a setting.

Julien Emile-Geay, an Associate Professor of Earth Sciences noted that many people have gotten passionate about politics to the point that they demonize the “other side,” specifically, many have become hostile toward those who voted for Trump. If we are to preach inclusion, Emile-Geay argued, should that not be for all?

In light of the election, many people have become so anti-Trump that many people feel excluded from participating in events such as this rally. At one point he pointed to the Trojans vs. Trump sign as an example of the division in our community, followed by expressing the need for a unified community, because “community is the best medicine.”

“When we ask for inclusion we ask for compassion,” said Emile-Geay. “I now ask you to do that for the other side. There is no other side.”

University of Southern California