The best places to study abroad as a USC student

To ease your finals-induced cabin fever

As everyone in America already knows, Donald Trump is officially President-elect of the United States of America. And most likely, you probably know from your news feed that there are many people that are very upset and vocal about their feelings toward the election’s outcome. Throughout the presidential race many people joked that they would move to another country if Trump won; Canada was a fan favorite for those making the threat. However, now that Trump has won the presidency, moving has become less of a joke.

Many people are seriously considering relocating, at least for the next four to eight years. However, for those of us enrolled in college, picking up and leaving America is not so easy. Although moving away is not necessarily a feasible option, study abroad is a possible substitute. Obviously, it is not known how Trump will perform in office; hopefully he ends up being a great president, for the sake of the country. But, in the even that the country takes a turn for the worst, it is important to know your options. Thankfully, USC offers amazing programs to study who wish to study abroad.

Annenberg London

In terms of the social and cultural experiences, London is a great place to be. It is a major city so there is always something to do, there is no language barrier, other than the occasional discrepancies caused by dialect, which makes the city’s rich culture incredibly accessible and easy to explore. Plus, the city has a popping club and pub scene.

“Studying abroad in London was an eye opening experience filled with so much adventure and culture,” said Lindsay Kaplan, a senior at Annenberg. “I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up moving there in the near future!”

For all Communication, Journalism, and PR majors you are in for a treat. USC offers a study abroad program at a school in the heart of London, an amazing program with an even better atmosphere. The best thing about this program academically is that the units from abroad are completely transferrable, so no worries about graduating on time; Communication majors can even earn up to 16 upper-division major electives!

Thanks to the train across the channel and London’s status as an international financial center, other countries in Europe are geographically and financially accessible enough for weekend trips. With so many posh cafes to visit and so little time, make sure not to spend all your money on food.

Only downfall is that this program can be very competitive; keep your GPA high and your nose clean if you want a spot.

Santiago, Chile

For those who seek a little more adventure and a bit more of a culture shock, South America is the way to go. USC offers an amazing program in Santiago, Chile. You need six semesters of college-level Spanish in order to apply for the program, but for those who have the interest it is an amazing experience.

Students can take classes at multiple university sites and in a wide arrange of subjects from geography to political science. When students aren’t studying, there are opportunities to travel to museums, visit historic landmarks, and attend rodeos. The opportunities for adventure are endless. And when students are traveling, they have one of the craziest nightlifes in South America to experience; perfect for college students.

Just keep in mind that due to differences in hemispheres, their school year runs mid-February to mid-December.

Waseda University

For those with a love of East Asian culture, studying abroad at Waseda University is the way to go. You are required to have two semesters of college-level Japanese to apply, but if you meet the qualifications this university is worth looking into. With it’s multi-cultural student body and generally liberal stance, Waseda is a great fit for Americans studying abroad.

It is located in Tokyo, Japan which means that students get to experience the rich culture of the city. Quirky bars, unique fashion, and delicious food all make the trip an amazing experience. Students can choose whether to live with host families for an added cultural bonus or in dormitories for a little more independence. One situation with this specific program is that only a year abroad program is offered, no semester programs. But with so much going on in the city and at the university, a year will fly by.

USC Paris

Visiting the Colosseum in Rome

Odds are you know somebody who has done either a semester of year at USC Paris. USC Paris is one of the most popular study abroad programs USC offers, because many students start their first semester or year abroad there. If you have talked to anyone who has participated in the program you have heard the rave reviews.

“Studying abroad my freshman year of university in Paris was undoubtedly a life changing experience,” said junior Katherine Rivas. “I can honestly say I made lifetime friends, and will never forget all the times my traveling adventures didn’t go as planned. The main misconception people have about study abroad is that every second of the day is perfect. The reality is, you are thrown into an entirely new culture and not every day will be exceptional. However, I would not change a single thing about my time abroad and treasure every moment, good and bad.

With it’s rich history, beautiful scenery and wild nightlife, Paris is the ideal for any college student trying to get a taste of refined culture. Although many people speak English, being able to speak French will help you assimilate easier and relate to the locals better. Also, you need two semesters of college level French anyways to apply to the abroad program.

USC Paris will keep you busy with all of the amazing courses they offer, but at least you can study in a cute Parisian Cafe and snack on delicious baked goods.

Australia – University of Melbourne

For those who want to get far from America, but lack the knowledge of any other language by English, Australia is a great fit. Melbourne is a major city within Australia with plenty of excitement for any college student. The university provides a vast amount of amenities to students at the university as well as having diverse catalog of courses.

When students are not studying, they can take trips to Australia’s beautiful beaches, engage with the beautiful environment, and go to clubs and bars. There is much to do for students who enjoy the outdoors and have an adventurous side. As a bonus, this program is cheaper than USC tuition, so you could save money by studying in Australia. However, this is another university that runs during different times of year due to the continent being in the Southern Hemisphere.

There’s never really been a better time to leave behind America and 2016. Studying abroad won’t just make you learn about somewhere new; it can teach you multitudes about yourself.

Or, as Katherine Rivas put it to me: “The most important lesson I learned (next to America is not the best country in the world,) is that life is beautifully unpredictable. Go spend a few extra euros, don’t panic when you lose all your friends in the middle of Europe with no cell service, and force yourself out of your comfort zone because this is the perfect opportunity to learn about the world and learn about yourself.”

University of Southern California