BREAKING: Student fatally stabs USC Professor Bosco S. Tjan

Students have been warned to stay away from the area

A faculty member at USC was fatally stabbed on campus at 4:34 this evening.

An officer on the scene told The Tab that the assailant was a student who is now in custody.

According to KTLA, the incident happened in the 3600 block of McClintock Avenue and officers received a call of stabbing with a deadly weapon.  The victim was pronounced dead on the scene.

According to eye-witnesses, helicopters are currently circling the area and McClintock has been closed off.

Students received a campus-wide text saying that there was no current danger to USC or the community but to stay away from the area.

Campus flags are currently down in respect for the faculty member.

UPDATE 7:40 p.m. PST: LAPD says that the murder was a targeted attack, and the “safety of the campus is not in question.” They also confirmed that the suspect was a male student and corrected their previous report that the professor was 25 years old. They could not confirm his age, only that he was not 25.

UPDATE 8:24 p.m. PST: LAPD says the suspect did not resist being taken into custody, also confirming that this was not a random act.

UPDATE 9:23 p.m. PST: The police have confirmed that the victim of the stabbing was USC Dornsife Professor of Psychology Bosco S. Tjan.

UPDATE 9:49 p.m. PST: USC President C. L. Max Nikias emailed out the following letter.

More details to follow. 

University of Southern California