USC Uber program survives amid cancelation rumors

Sucks to be at UCLA

Despite previous rumors suggesting otherwise, USC Transportation has brought back their popular nightly Uber program.

USC Transportation confirmed the administration will continue to cover the cost of Uber Pools within the University Park neighborhood, from 7pm to 2am, but only when the wait time for Campus Cruisers surpasses 15 minutes.

The Campus Cruiser stipulation is an explicit inconvenience, because Campus Cruiser cannot directly drop passengers off at commercial institutions. But if last semester was any indication, it’s a mere pretense at best.

Some members of the USC community doubted the university would bring back the Uber program despite its enormous public support.

Speculators cited a study conducted by USC and Oxford University which found Uber does not necessarily cause a decrease in drunk driving.

Considering the scarcity of parking around University Park, however, this logic falsely assumes students would be driving from, say, the Row to Menlo.

In reality, USC Uber prevents intoxicated students from walking around at night, more likely having an impact on attacks than it does on drunk driving.

Perhaps this decision came for student safety. However, it could be just another dope thing to brag about to students from the other school across town (hint: public schools usually do not pay for their students’ Ubers).

Yeah. That’s probably it. Keep it up, use Uber and stay safe.

University of Southern California