UNC sends email to students saying their information will be used in Affirmative Action lawsuit

Yikes

Today, past applicants to UNC received an email from the admission's office, informing them parts of their application will be used in an affirmative action lawsuit.

According to a copy of the email, the court has ordered the University to hand over academic and demographic information about applicants who applied to be part of the Fall 2012 and Fall 2013 first year classes. However, all identifying information will be deleted.

This is the latest development in a case against UNC which has been going on since 2014, led by Students for Fair Admission.

Students for Fair Admission is the same organization who represented Abigail Fisher in the Supreme Court case Abigail Fisher vs. UT-Austin, suggesting she didn't get into the university because she was white.

They believe UNC does not use "strict scrutiny" before turning to race when making admissions decisions. According to their site, strict scrutiny requires "demonstrating, before turning to racial classifications, that available, workable race-neutral alternatives do not suffice."

They have created a website dedicated to their case against UNC for any parties who are interested in suing the school for being denied admission.

It's called "UNCNOTFAIR.ORG." Cringey. And that's all I have to say about that.

UNC