UNC’s Panhellenic recruitment halted due to alleged norovirus outbreak

Feel better soon

UNC's Panhellenic recruitment has been halted until further notice due to one of the sorority houses contracting norovirus — also known as the "vomiting bug".

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life at UNC said tonight's and tomorrow's events have been cancelled at the advice of UNC's Campus Health and the Orange County Health Department.

In a statement to The Tab, they said: "Campus Health has treated a number of students today with gastro-related symptoms. While Campus Health has no confirmed diagnoses at this time, we have collected lab samples and are awaiting the results, which may take up to 24 hours.

"Students are encouraged to wash their hands frequently with soap and warm running water and to stay at home if you are feeling sick."

Sources within Greek life have told The Tab UNC that the sickness is related to norovirus.

Symptoms of norovirus include nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and low-grade fevers.

Panhellenic recruitment was originally scheduled to run from August 31 until September 6, which would have been bid day.

Stay posted for more updates from The Tab UNC.

UNC