What to expect from the UNC – Butler game this Friday

They’re not quite Virginia slow, but not even close to UNC fast.

The Tar Heels will be playing the 4-seeded Butler Bulldogs this Friday at 7:09 p.m. in the Sweet 16. To get everyone prepared for the game, here is everything you need to know about the team that’s in our way of getting to the Elite Eight.

Butler advanced to play UNC by defeating 13-seeded Winthrop University followed by 12-seeded Middle Tennessee State University, the lowest combined seed total any team has faced.

By no means does this mean that Butler is a bad team. They can be very successful, and they have been since around 2008.

Butler plays games at their pace, ranked 288 out of 351 nationally according to Ken Pom metrics. To put that into perspective, Carolina ranks 54, so this game will probably be scored around the mid-70s.

Butler’s other ranks don’t really measure up compared to the rest of the 16 teams left. They are in the bottom four in both offensive and defensive efficiency, which is a fancy, statistical way of saying they are near the bottom on both ends of the court.

Their lead scorer, Kelan Martin, comes off the bench with a 6’7” wingspan and is likely to be guarded by Theo Pinson and Isaiah Hicks.

The team plays to their strengths and any given player can lead the team in scoring for one game. Another player to keep an eye on is Andrew Chrabascz, who also has a 6’7” wingspan. He’s likely to be matched against Justin Jackson.

Butler, overall, is much smaller than the Heels. Three of their starting five are 6’3” or shorter, compared to only Joel Berry. Carolina should have a massive advantage inside and on the glass as a result.

This game is a clash of styles. Butler wants to play slow, but Carolina wants to push. Butler wants to play a perimeter and 3-point game, but Carolina wants to attack the paint and the glass.

There are no easy games left at this point, but it would take an incredible effort to knock off Carolina at this point. The Tar Heels have been clear about wanting to avenge last year’s national championship game.

UNC