Don’t drink the water on campus – OWASA is running out of water

Dare we say Watergate?

Orange Water and Sewer Authority released a statement asking everyone in the local community to limit water use to essential purposes only and UNC says don’t drink any water on campus until further notice. So, stop taking those 30 minute showers to “clear your head” and don’t refill your water bottle. We have a water system to protect!

@ Lenoir currently

An incident occurred at the Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant earlier this week in which there was an overfeed of fluoride during the water treatment process. Water supplies have fallen to reduced levels, so OWASA will receive water from the City of Durham for at least a few days.

According to Alert Carolina, OWASA suggests some ways in which you can further conserve water, as follows:

• Flush toilets only when necessary.
  • Take short showers (less than 5 minutes); shower instead of taking a bath, which uses more water.
  • Turn off water when not in use for brushing teeth, etc.
  • Wash only full loads of clothes and dishes.
  • Use paper plates and plastic utensils to reduce dishwashing.
  • Check for and fix any leaks in toilets, faucets, hoses, pipes, etc.
  • Defer washing vehicles with drinking water. (Some car washes use well water.)

Do not be surprised if your water is discolored, as it will probably be due to sediment in the water lines. To clear the line, just run cold water for 5 to 10 minutes. If the water does not clear in that time, OWASA says to not use the water and to contact their office at 919-968-4421.

UNC