Why spring semester is better than fall semester

Two words: SNOW DAYS

Spring semester brings about many wonderful things. It’s the beginning of a new calendar year and the beginning of the second half of the school year. As soon as it starts, you know you don’t have long before you’re free once again.

First of all, we have basketball season. No matter how cold it gets, it’s always a safe bet that the student line will wrap around the Dean Dome before every home game.

Jumping back into the swing of things isn’t as difficult in January as it is in August. There have only been a few weeks between semesters rather than a few months, so your first homework assignments doesn’t suffer as much this time around.

This time brings about everyone’s favorite event: SNOW DAYS. I will always cherish my little snowman I made on my first UNC snow day. He didn’t live a very long life, but I hope he enjoyed the time he did have in this world.

Spring break gives us an entire week rather than the joke that is a 2 day fall break. It’s the perfect time to take a grand trip somewhere like Walt Disney World or enjoy an extended stay in one of your most unused places during the school year: your bedroom. (Classes are tough, right?)

Flowers bloom at the Old Well and campus turns into the most beautiful postcard. Everyone stops to take pictures and Instagram becomes an unending stream of UNC photos.

Unlike fall, the heat won’t kill you because it only lasts a short while at the end of the semester. Yes, finals week is always hot, but at least you know three months of no classes await you.

When this LDOC rolls around, we don’t have an FDOC three weeks later. Unless of course you’re taking Maymester or Summer Session 1, in which case I salute you and can only pray for your well being.

Some of us may graduate in December, but most look forward to Mother’s Day when they get to don the Carolina blue cap and gown. In that moment, the blazing sun won’t bother you as much because you know that you’re joining a league like no other: Carolina alumni.

Spring semester tends to involve many happy memories when we need them most. We need good times at the end of a school year after spending so many nights in the library and we push ourselves toward summer. As the new semester begins, remember the number of holidays it gives us. A break is always around the corner. Enjoy your time in the next few months as you celebrate the end of another year and prepare for the next beginning of your life, whether that is a return to campus or the next step in your life.

UNC