A letter to UNCW students victimized by Mike Adams

He called Black Lives Matter a ‘cry for attention’

Dear UNCW students,

We stand by you.

You have the right to feel safe at your university — at your home. You should be able to turn to your classmates, your friends and your professors in times of need. Your professors should not only be supportive and helpful in the classroom, but they should have the audacity and morality to treat students with respect and encourage students in their endeavors.

Professors should absolutely not — scratch that — anyone with a conscious should absolutely not, for any reason, harass another person for being themselves. UNCW Professor Mike Adams has done this exact thing, and had been continuously allowed to do so.

One of the many offensive posts on Adams’ Facebook page

As college students, we are discovering who we are; we are shaped by our experiences at our universities and psychologically affected by those around us. Many of us are finally starting to feel comfortable expressing ourselves after suppressing our identities in high school.

How are we supposed to grow to be America’s future when we are discriminated against and publicly humiliated the minute we don’t identify as heterosexual?

Just because someone’s personal beliefs don’t agree with the foundation of equality — just because they’re an ignorant, self-absorbed and bigoted person who doesn’t understand the disposition and struggles of the LGBTQ community, doesn’t mean they can add to oppressions you face. Mike Adams is an excellent example of someone who should not be allowed to hurt you.

When Adams decided to be a professor at UNCW, he decided to take on a leadership position; a position where students are expected to respect him and where many students look up to him. How could he — no — how dare he, call a student out for being true to herself?

The UNCW officials may have not seen Adams’s abhorrent and detestable cyber bulling as unlawful discrimination, but you can sure as hell bet that people all over America are disgusted by his character, and the lack of safe spaces and support for LGBTQ students at UNCW.

UNCW students, we are there for you. We believe you. And we believe the actions of Mike Adams and the UNCW administration are incorrect.

UNC