The ten commandments of Carolina basketball

College basketball is back, and so are the crazy fans, traditions and buzzer-beaters

Welcome back, Carolina basketball. It’s been a long seven months and we’ve missed you. In preparation for another great year, here are the ten commandments of Carolina basketball.

Carolina Is…

Loyal

In the world of one-and-done freshman phenoms who force fans to learn to faces and new talents each year, Carolina is about loyalty to a winning program. Players may leave early, but most stay on and give us the same great people to cheer for every year.

Fast

Coach Roy Williams said he wants to play even faster this year. That’s saying something considering we were already one of the fastest teams in the nation last year, so get ready for some up-tempo, high-scoring basketball games.

Deep

Carolina always boasts a deep roster, with every player contributing to a great winning tradition. This year is no different, as evidenced by nine players scoring against Tulane with four players in double-digits. Everyone on this team can score on any given night.

Loud

There seems to be a reputation in college basketball where the Smith Center isn’t loud on game days. While it could always be louder, it isn’t quiet either. Tar Heel fans have been loud in the past, and this year we need to be even louder.

Fun

The celebrations, the dance moves and the team handshakes show just how much fun all of the players have playing the game. Some schools have moved to a more uptight and professional approach, but Carolina keeps it fun. Get ready for some more Theo Pinson, Joel Berry and Justin Jackson dance moves.

Explosive

There are two parts to UNC basketball’s explosiveness. Part one is theĀ number of guys that can play above the rim and throw down some monster dunks. Part two is Carolina scoringĀ in the blink of an eye — one lull in intensity against us will result in ten or twelve unanswered points.

Unselfish

Athletes can be all about “me before the team” but Carolina players aren’t like that. In addition to having nine players score against Tulane, eight of those nine all registered at least one assist, with no one having more than five. Basketball analyst Jay Bilas said 72% of UNC field goals are assisted. Carolina shares the ball, and that helps make us great.

Effort

Before the games, you can see Carolina’s warm-up where they dive across the floor. Lots of teams do this before the game, but no one dives after every loose ball like Carolina does. We give the effort that separates the good teams from the great teams.

Tradition

The jerseys and banners in the rafters show the success that came before this season. Last season, two jerseys and a couple banners were added to the collection. (Let’s pour one out for Brice and Marcus.) The greatness that came before this season has foreshadowed the greatness that is yet to come.

Winning

Carolina basketball is winning and winning is Carolina basketball. The two go together like Justin Jackson and his floater, Joel Berry II and flexing, Theo Pinson and dancing, Kennedy Meeks and Whitney Houston or Roy Williams and Carolina blue.

UNC